Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time  (Read 1016 times)

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Time
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:22:08 am »

I'd like to know more about time within DF, specifically the advancement and progression of a world.
I've read the Wiki thoroughly, so I"m looking for information NOT on it.

Like for instances, in adventure mode, does time progress actively? Do civilizations rise and fall? How long does an adventurer live?
Has anyone played adventurer for thousands (or hundreds) of years? Can he ever become King or something strange like that? Does he have a civ?

Then there's time within DF, which matters little because all the creatures respawn and civ's go on (verify?).

So yeah, more information would be enjoyed. :3

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:34:09 am »

Populations are tracked, but the events that happen during worldgen do not still happen afterwards. You cannot currently become ruler of a civilization.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:03:01 am »

That sucks. So the world's not really alive =(

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:04:26 pm »

That sucks. So the world's not really alive =(
Not after world gen ends, no. That's the reason why it's part of number 18 on the Eternal voting list.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 12:18:05 pm »

Yup. future updates will hopefully slowly turn events on  to the point the world changes even as you play the fort. Though were likely a good few years minimum before that happens in any big way.

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 12:19:22 pm »

Toady's lazy I know <.<

Edit: Wait, if my adventurer dies and does lots of cool things does it stay in legends and such? Then if I play a new adventurer I can read about the first?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:45:00 pm by LoneTophat »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 01:08:04 pm »

yup, you'll get info about places like "the plains of eternal soap where the great adventurer Letme Sleep was killed by Bogeymen in the night"

I started in the same area as one of my earlier attempts once and found the same nightcreature having me... him for lunch

In fortress mode, engravings of your great deeds will start to show up

edit: or your spectacular failures. It's not funny to see 5 engravings of different adventurers dieing of different things. They do it on purpose I'm sure
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:13:19 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 01:22:59 pm »

yup, you'll get info about places like "the plains of eternal soap where the great adventurer Letme Sleep was killed by Bogeymen in the night"

I started in the same area as one of my earlier attempts once and found the same nightcreature having me... him for lunch

In fortress mode, engravings of your great deeds will start to show up

edit: or your spectacular failures. It's not funny to see 5 engravings of different adventurers dieing of different things. They do it on purpose I'm sure

Or the great adventurer with over 200 kills, who drown in a river of carp. ._.;
Damn rivers.