Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So what do you call that, then?  (Read 652 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
So what do you call that, then?
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:28:14 pm »

I have 50 dwarves.  In my dining room, there is one table and chair for each of them.  Yet I see constant griping about "lack of chairs/tables".  So what gives?  I have it set up properly (no more than one chair with one table)and its designated as a dining room, etc.  I've never seen this until recently.  So I am wondering what I might have missed, and how to fix it.  Thanks.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: So what do you call that, then?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:54:55 pm »

Do you have any chairs that are adjacent to more than one table, or vice-versa?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:08:17 pm »

Are the complainers nobles without their own personalized dining rooms?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:44:16 pm »

Do you have any chairs that are adjacent to more than one table, or vice-versa?
This would be my guess at what your problem is. If there is more then one chair next to a table then you will get these bad thoughts if a dwarf tries to use the second chair while another dwarf is eating at the table already.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:44:17 pm »

It's also possible that the bad thoughts occurred before you finished setting up your dining hall.  The thoughts remain on the dwarf's screen for about a year, I think.  (The wiki doesn't seem to say.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:03:12 pm »

I don't think anybody has done any testing since the DF 2010 update, but back in 40d thoughts remained for a year, yes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:04:51 pm »

If you put up other chairs of an unclaimed nature anywhere in your fortress, dwarves will decide to sit at them and eat, then complain about their desicion. I ran into this whilst making nice statue gardens with chairs. They also went to eat on the kings throne after he died, which is understandable, and then complained about it, which was not.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 05:14:08 pm »

Well, the set up looks like this

c Chair
t Table

ct   ct   ct   ct   

ct   ct   ct   ct

But reading further, someone else also mentioned they'll sit at other chairs, and then gripe, so I think this is it.  I have to discount these being old complaints, because the dining room was set up well in advance of me getting all 50 dwarves, and it's the noobs who are griping.  Thanks, everyone!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.