Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disappearing Corpse?  (Read 396 times)

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
Disappearing Corpse?
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:46:39 am »

So during winter, I had one of my haulers walk across a frozen pond just as it unfroze and she fell in and (predictably) drowned. I built a pump and drained the pond into the river, but... her corpse has vanished? Her stuff is all still there (or at least it was, until everyone claimed it) but the corpse has effectively vanished.

She shows up as deceased in the list, but I can't find her anywhere. This ever happen before?
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Disappearing Corpse?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:31:48 am »

When stuff gets frozen in ice and the ice then melts, any items left behind become "invisible" in the same way as when they get pushed around by flowing liquids.
If you do a mass-reclaim of the tile, a hauler should come by and pick up the corpse "out of nowhere", provided you've actually enabled collection of outdoor refuse.

A better way to do this would've been to wait for the tile to refreeze and then simply dig it out, since that makes the items visible again.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:03:11 pm »

A better way to do this would've been to wait for the tile to refreeze and then simply dig it out, since that makes the items visible again.

I've tried this before, but the items seem to vaporize completely for me.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 01:19:11 pm »

It may also be that when you pumped the water out, the movement of the water pushed the corpse around.  Objects moved by water sometimes vanish from the map.  They're still present, just won't show up anymore.  If you can make the location accessible to your dwarves and the corpse isn't forbidden they'll still be able to grab it.

See if you can go to the stocks list and look under corpses.  Expand the list to show the individual corpses, then find hers and zoom to the location.  That will show you where it is even if it's vanished.

Also, it's a good idea to use the traffic designation tool to mark the surface of lakes as Restricted traffic zones.  That way dwarves will try to avoid walking across them, lowering the chances of someone being on the ice when it suddenly thaws.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:30:36 pm »

Ahahaha this happened to me, a dwarf drowned in water and it froze later. I thought it would just dissapear or something, but what I did was, well I smoothed the ice in sadness that he was gone (so i thought) but then curiousity got to me and i dug the ice and his corpse was there.

erm... i dont know why i said any of this, it is completely useless