Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing NO_EAT/NO_DRINK doesn't seem to work?  (Read 538 times)

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
Removing NO_EAT/NO_DRINK doesn't seem to work?
« on: January 23, 2012, 01:45:32 am »

I was working on modding a new carnivore civ into DF, and used the old NO_EAT/NO_DRINK trick to keep them surviving worldgen. But then after I made a fortress with them and changed the raws in the save file, they still wouldn't eat. Are you supposed to change the tags before you start a fortress?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Removing NO_EAT/NO_DRINK doesn't seem to work?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:53:21 am »

raw changes such as that have no effect on already generated worlds, if I remember correctly. If the world was generated with them having [NO_EAT]/[NO_DRINK], that's how they're gonna stay.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 02:08:53 am »

After some testing, I answered my own question! Removing the tags after starting a fortress does nothing, but removing them after worldgen and -before- starting a fortress does allow them to eat.

The only problem is that they seem to eat and drink a helluva lot less than dwarves do. Among other unrelated things.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:50:03 am »

Are you editing the tags out of the save raws or the root raws.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:24:57 am »

raw changes such as that have no effect on already generated worlds, if I remember correctly. If the world was generated with them having [NO_EAT]/[NO_DRINK], that's how they're gonna stay.
That's wrong, creature tokens DO work after worldgen. Make sure you edit your save raws as NobodyPro said.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:56:48 am »

Yeah, you can definitely modify the NO_EAT and NO_DRINK tags at pretty much any time.  It'll even change their current hunger/thirst levels.  I've used it at least once to save prisoners from starving to death from neglect, and to protect the slowest dwarf ever from dying of thirst on his way back to the stockpile.  You have to make sure you're changing it in the save file, not the original raw files.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 06:54:50 pm »

Entirely sure I was editing it in the save file and not the root raws.  I spent quite a while just sitting there watching them to see if anyone would go to the food stockpile, and they didn't until I changed it before embarking. :(