Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Out of curisioty  (Read 1625 times)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Out of curisioty
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:43:58 am »

Is it possible to cave in the magma sea's bottom layer/whole map into HFS?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Out of curisioty
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 03:02:03 am »

Is it possible to cave in the magma sea's bottom layer/whole map into HFS?
If I recall correctly, there used to be a glitch where you could channel out SMR that you had not yet explored. Even if the glitch is still around, you'd need to drain the magma sea if you want to collapse the entire thing into the circus. And you would also probably lose a lot of dwarves in the process. Hell, if you collapse the whole map into the Fun house, pretty much all loose items/units would be atom-smashed. If they are on the surface, they would likely die from a fall. If the caverns are particularly tall, something in there might survive long enough to splatter against the floor as well.

Oh, also your FPS would be completely shot. Your computer might also explode. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher ready to put out the flames of awesome.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 03:07:37 am »

But it still would be theoritically possible? Interesting...

Also it sounds more interesting than making fortress live long enough to all dwarfs die from old age, so...

..Wait, isn't there layer of slade or molten stone before HFS? It wasn't possible to dig those, was it?

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:10:57 am »

Sorry, not possible. SMR destroys all natural walls that fall into it. But we can dream.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 03:22:06 am »

Oh.

Well, it still would sound interesting to cave in caverns and magma and surface to lowest possible point.

It would make impressive crater at least.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 03:27:01 am »

someone needs ot test with DFhacks paint tool. cut out a big chunk of HFS ceiling and rain the magma sea down on them >:D
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 05:19:02 am »

someone needs ot test with DFhacks paint tool. cut out a big chunk of HFS ceiling and rain the magma sea down on them >:D

The clowns come out and play.  They can swim through the magma.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:28:47 pm »

Hell, if you collapse the whole map into the Fun house
I see what you did there!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 01:31:41 pm »

One thing I was wondering (in my never ending plan to make a giant spike to drop into the circus) are clowns also destroyed if several layers are caved in on them?
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 01:33:50 pm »

I would assume so, cave ins seem to make everything under them to disappear out of existence.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:25:37 pm »

If an adamantine pillar walls off some magma tiles from the rest of the magma sea, you can channel above the walled-off section and Pond it. The bucket water will steam away the magma eventually. It might have to be above more adamantine though.

I know you can't cave-in some granite from above, it will just melt. I've tried it and it did not go down the way I wanted it to go down. I suffered a humiliating score in my pretend game of dwarf dolls.

All I can think of trying is maybe caving in some slade or adamantine down into the semi-molten rock, because I've never tried those particular materials. I'd try adamantine because it seemingly disrespects the semi-molten rock by chilling out in it despite anything else melting, and slade is just a big mystery all around.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 02:32:48 pm »

Wouldn't genning a world where slade is diggable also work?

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:20:12 pm »

it might be possible ot collapse a section of cavern onto a "lip" of one of the adamantite pillers?
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 01:59:42 pm »

it might be possible ot collapse a section of cavern onto a "lip" of one of the adamantite pillers?

I do believe someone's done that before, lets see if I can find that thread...