Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New embark... no seeds available?  (Read 1530 times)

TheYatesMachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New embark... no seeds available?
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:25:29 pm »

So... I embarked, and apparently underground crops don't exist on this map, because I was unable to embark with seeds in my wagon, and the dwarves I trade with don't have any available.  I'm in 4 different biomes!  How can this be possible?  Aaand, when I go to the underground cavern, will the plants become available, or are my dwarves about to be carnivores?

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New embark... no seeds available?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:30:21 pm »

I know that sometimes during world gen civs end up without having certain things. For example iron anvils. It might be possible your civ ended up without seeds? Try another civ on your map.
Feeling down? Click Here!

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:34:36 am »

That is... unlikely? Are you using an unmodded version of Dwarf Fortress? That should never happen.

You should find plants underground.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:12:49 am »

It should happen rarely, actually; the dwarves can get plants only from the first cavern layer, and if there's no water in a cavern layer no plants will grow there. As such, if you're unlucky enough to have a totally dry first cavern layer, the dwarves will have access to no plants or plant products.

You didn't mention whether you had booze available or not, though... You shouldn't if you have no seeds available, but one would think that you'd comment on that rather than the lack of seeds.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

TheYatesMachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:52:59 am »

well I didn't have booze, figured that I could dig down and get my booze running - and let them drink water for the first few months.

However, I started production on surface plants and have the industry running.

Unmodded!

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »

I'm kinda jealous actually. If we had a proper economy (supply and demand) then you would be rich as soon as you hit the caverns bc you would have a monopoly on plump helmets.
Don't sell them raw or the seeds or they'll be able to grow their own!