Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about weapons  (Read 621 times)

Darkfyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about weapons
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:58:29 pm »

I know that the size of the weapon effects the swing velocity of the weapon, but does it also effect the number of swings you get until the enemy gets a turn? For example, a dagger doesn't do much damage but can you swing it like 5x for every 1x swing of a hammer? Just curious. thanks!
A gem-encrusted sock is perfect for ass-kicking.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 03:01:49 pm »

No.
Currently, attack speed is dependant on overall speed, so an dwarf who is fast will attack fast no matter what weapon they use.

Darkfyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 03:09:35 pm »

Hmm, maybe that could be changed or something to include both. I don't care how strong or fast you are, If you are wielding a steel warhammer I should be able to swing at least 2-3 times before you can. This would allow extremely agile dagger warriors who rely on dodge to actually work. Bonus points if wielding heavy weapons makes you dodge less. It is an interesting thought

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:48:46 pm »

No.
Currently, attack speed is dependant on overall speed, so an dwarf who is fast will attack fast no matter what weapon they use.
With the exception that if the weapon is heavy enough to put the dwarf into the encumbrance range, at which point its overall speed is slowed, resulting in slower attacks (and movement, and everything else).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:40:48 pm »

I thought daggers were insanely OP, because all of the power is focused on a tiny little area. Or something similiar, but ok.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:31:25 pm »

Hmm, maybe that could be changed or something to include both. I don't care how strong or fast you are, If you are wielding a steel warhammer I should be able to swing at least 2-3 times before you can. This would allow extremely agile dagger warriors who rely on dodge to actually work. Bonus points if wielding heavy weapons makes you dodge less. It is an interesting thought
A steel warhammer and a good steel dagger that would actually be useful against a warhammer, are pretty much the same weight.  The warhammer is not a maul (think two-handed sledgehammer), but is a one handed weapon more like your household claw hammer (not quite the same, but close enough).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Darkfyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:24:23 pm »

The problem is daggers lack penetration distance and power. Whenever I stab someone with the starting copper dagger, for instance, if they are wearing fur armor I can only Bruise them. However, daggers are more accurate than swords so if you find something unarmored (fingers, feet, nose, ears, lower body or any part not covered in armor) you are very likely to score a complete hit, chipping a bone, severing a part, etc.etc. in fact, I think daggers inflict more bone damage on stab than swords do because of this. I will do some arena testing

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 02:34:07 pm »

I thought daggers were insanely OP, because all of the power is focused on a tiny little area. Or something similiar, but ok.

They're murder on unarmored things, this much I know.  Just saw someone get beheaded by a thief with a dagger in a single swipe.  ???
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 05:49:25 pm »

Daggers stabs poke through armour quite easily even with a weak material, and they go deep enough to be a threat. Their slashes are weak, but any slash is likely to do something nasty if it hits exposed flesh. All in all, one of the scariest weapons to face in fortress mode.

Not terribly useful for us because we don't need armour-piercing stabs as badly.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 07:29:10 pm »

goblin lightsabers are more scary
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.