Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I can't find any Ore...  (Read 1732 times)

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I can't find any Ore...
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 11:56:00 pm »

Well A big part of this game is making do with what you have. If you really need ore, re-embark or make a new world with much higher minerals.
Other wise, you should Make lot of crossbows, and bolts out of wood. Armour should be bone which (i think) is slightly better then leather. Plus you need to save leather for quivers and backpacks. Otherwise, request metal from dwarven outpost liason.
Where would I get bone from? my refuse pile? I have a trapper dwarf, which counts as my ranger (according to the 'z' menu anyway). But I can't seem to get him to hunt anything

Useable bone comes from two main sources:

Any animal you butcher whether from hunting or your pastures, and the decayed severed limbs of goblins and other sentients.

Butchery requires a butcher shop and a dwarf with butchery enabled. Hunting requires a quiver, a crossbow, bolts, and a dwarf with hunting as one of their enabled labors and access to the great outdoors.

Building a limb-separating system is simpler than it sounds. Simply drop captured creatures from a great height onto a firm surface and all the limbs will be blown off by the impact.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 12:15:00 am »

Another good way to get metal without ore is goblinite. If you have flux you can refine goblinite into steel. Also make the trade depot into a drowing trap. That way you won't have to pay for all those tast bars and *large iron breastplate*

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 05:07:00 am »

yeah, i always go for multiple of shallow and deep metals when i embark nd so usually have something i can make weapons out of.

also, Imiknorris and whispers, im onto you now.
I KNOW YOUR SECRETS
ALL OF THEM
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 05:59:04 am »

also, Imiknorris and whispers, im onto you now.
I KNOW YOUR SECRETS
ALL OF THEM

o_O

Well then they're not very secret ;D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 06:03:55 am »

goblins bring lots of iron over time and are great for target practice
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 03:54:25 pm »

Poultry can be a decent source of bones meat etc. due to eggs hatching. Geese are a good choice. 3-8 eggs per clutch, 1 year to maturity, and 6 bones. Although turkeys do have a larger egg clutch and smaller egg size(hatch faster). Toss babies and extras in a cage n butcher when needed.

Btw, Alligators and cave crocs are absolutely amazing to have popping out tons of eggs n baby gators.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 09:46:19 pm »

galena is awesome.
first off, you can make GREAT blunt weapons with silver, and OK edged weapons.
armor is gonna kinda suck, but as long as your military practices with shields alot, the armor will be less of an issue as they'll block most attacks.
i dont even armor my dwarves, just give em a good shield and a good weapon.
Also, being unarmored means you don't have to lug it around everywhere --> super fast soldiers
Shields are very useful, but if weapon skill and fighting is high enough they will still get plenty of dodges/parries
and ya, extremely high skills trumps good equipment. so if you focus on training your soldiers they will will be deadly even with crap.

I just got an idea to start a fort, train some wrestlers and then equip them solely with the goblinite they liberate.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 12:38:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll save you some time:

Urist McWrestler has released jointlock on ____x4000
Urist McWrestler is struck in the head through the masterwok steel helm from behind by Gobbo -Morning star-. The skull is pushed through the brain
Urist McWrestler has been struck down.

Urist McWrestler is strangling gobbo #1
Gobbo #5-15 thrust with spears.
Urist McWrestler has been struck down.

Urist McWrestler punches gobbo #1 in the upper body. The blow glances offx20

It's a pretty fun thing to do but it results in a thriving coffin industry. :<

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 12:42:32 am »

thanks for the advice, I found a large cavern filled with Galena among other gems, which I can use to make lead. Unfortunately what I really need is armor, weapons and picks, which cannot be made with lead. The cavern also has 4 Draltha in it, hopefully they'll stay at their end of the cave.

Galena, when smelted has a chance to produce silver, silver is a great metal for blunt weapons, but not really worth making sharp weapons out of.
An ore of lead, a good metal right there ;P

Not really good for anything, but making your fort out of the stuff is just awesome.

Lead bins and barrels :)  Thats what I typically use it for.  Also, if you have Galena handy, make sure whoever turns into your mayor likes lead or silver, and keep a stock of whatever they like if you can.

Goblinite is also good.  Humans typically bring lots of iron stuff, and elves lots of wood if you make huge empty wood stockpiles and don't trade them wood things.  Use wood from elves and iron from humans to make steel for dwarves  :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 04:51:18 am »

Just remembered another useful thing to do. If you properly set up your stockpiles(Material, quality etc.), you can have a storeroom right by the magma smelters to take all the shoddy weapons, armor, toys, instruments, cages, shields, crafts, etc. without having them enter the useful stockpiles. If you disable bins on it you can just do d-m every one and awhile to melt down goodies. With quality roasts you can buy out whole caravans worth of things to melt down. 100k or more!
Pages: 1 [2]