Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Only Challenge.  (Read 686 times)

Rayeneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Only Challenge.
« on: January 22, 2012, 01:55:31 am »

Hey folks, I am attempting to create an area of map with only goblins and no dwarf civilization in that area. I want to only have my first couple of migrants and then rely on birth rates to create a real civilization. Any advice? Is it doable?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Only Challenge.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:03:59 am »

using PWDF generate a very evil world, Civs like gobbos seem to survive but the friendly races get wiped leaving a dwarf civ with few people left anywhere.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:09:02 am »

Certainly doable.  You won't get sieges until you hit 80 dwarves anyway, so that won't be a huge problem.  You might want to embark with a dwarf with some military skills and teacher though, so you can get some decent militia dwarves quickly to deal with ambushes and thieves in the early years.

The only other bits of advice I could really say are that you might not want to breach the caverns very early (or if you do, seal them up) because you'll get forgotten beasts regardless of how many dwarves you've got.  That, and expect this to take a long, long time.  Getting an appreciable number of dwarves from babies to adults takes 13 years in game if I recall.

One thing you might want to try is to encourage marriages to increase your birth rates.  To do so, you can try a couple of things in that respect: single tile meeting areas help a lot with this from my understanding.  I've tried burrowing dwarves together to get them to marry, but I haven't had much success with it, even with one or two tile burrows, because it's annoyingly difficult to get the two there at the same time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:09:25 am »

Unless all dwarves are extinct, you'll always have access to your parent civ. So, make sure to edit the worldgen options to ensure generating with no playable races does not trigger a rejection. I'd also suggest browsing a worldgen thread, like http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64032.msg2902272#msg2902272 to try and find such a world.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:05:58 am »

It's easier if you just mod Dwarves to starve to death during legends mode, than die in world gen - if they die in world gen, there'll be no fortress mode to begin with :C