Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two Questions: Creatures, cages, and heat.  (Read 654 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Two Questions: Creatures, cages, and heat.
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:32:25 pm »

So I was struck with a * mood and thought up something, but I need a few questions answered.

1. Does DF2010 allow you to create creatures in cages via custom workshop/recipes? Or does it still turn them into vermin?
2. Do creatures in cages still radiate heat? Say, if I raise a creature's HOMEOTHERM or mod a Blazing Clown to be cage-able.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Two Questions: Creatures, cages, and heat.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:15:55 pm »

1) No, creature creations are still very bugged.
2) I don't believe that they do, no. Generally cages tend to work as pocket universes in that not only do they protect the creature inside of them from the outside, they protect the outside from that creature as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 04:45:50 pm »

Hm, alright let's see. As I can't create the creature, I'll have to set it to be domesticate-able and import it. Any foreseeable effect on Worldgen?

Otherwise, the Ma-nyan-tan Project is a go.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:49:53 pm by Blaze »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 05:51:46 pm »

I might be mistaken, but I think you can create vermin in reactions.

And I might be mistaken, but I think that undirected dust works from within cages. I only read about it in a story/general discussion thread, about a cages FB that still creates dust. Was about weaponizing (what else) this effect.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 06:36:38 pm »

You technically can create vermin in reactions, but they act as a sort of pseudo vermin that acts like a vermin but isn't really. Also the name changes from "lizard" to "tame lizard" (or maybe it's the other way around, not sure at the moment) which is definitely not normal.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 08:07:59 pm »

You technically can create vermin in reactions, but they act as a sort of pseudo vermin that acts like a vermin but isn't really. Also the name changes from "lizard" to "tame lizard" (or maybe it's the other way around, not sure at the moment) which is definitely not normal.
PET gives a tame vermin.
VERMIN gives wild vermin.

But from tests yes spawned vermin are not really vermin in a sense. Spawned bees cannot sting but if placed in a hive the bees that spawn naturally around it will sting. Donno if this affects cave spiders and their webber ability. But likewise they won't bite like the bees wont sting (cannot clarify as I don't think anyone has tested CS's yet, just Bees)