Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF refuses to run on Ubuntu - "Bus Error"  (Read 1648 times)

glenatron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF refuses to run on Ubuntu - "Bus Error"
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:50:05 am »

I downloaded the Linux build of Dwarf Fortress and installed it ( or at least unpacked it, which I think is about as much installation as it needs ) on my netbook which is running Ubuntu 10.04 to see how it would run. I checked that all the packages it wants were installed in the correct version, which as far as I can tell they are.

When I try to run the DF script or the Dwarf_Fortress binary from the desktop, they appear to do nothing at all, when I run either from the console I get the message Bus error - instantaneously fast - and nothing else. I assume that it is probing the system and finding something not to it's liking but the message isn't terribly informative and I can't figure out what it is displeased by. Memtest suggests that there is nothing wrong with my memory ( or at least with my computer's memory ) and as it is some time since I travelled anywhere by bus I don't think it is criticising my transport choices.

Google hasn't shown me anything useful, but it seems like for most DF problems you guys have the best answers. Any suggestions as to what might cause this or how to get more information on what is bothering it?

The computer is an Aspire One with an Atom N280 processor and a gigabyte of ram.

Joey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF refuses to run on Ubuntu - "Bus Error"
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:33:17 am »

Sadly I am not a master of Linux, but it might be that you don't have the rights to execute it. Try right clicking the file, select "properties" then open the tab "permissions" and check to box labeled "is executable". This is for kubuntu though, not sure how it works in Ubuntu. I shall find some terminal commands shortly!

Edit: Here is an article about permissions, I hope it helps: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermissions
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:35:15 am by Joey »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:31:53 pm »

If the permissions thing doesn't work, try running DF from the terminal and you should get more specific feedback.  Give that a shot and post what you get here.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 01:41:10 am »

If all else fails, just run the windows version through Wine. I ended up doing that after weird stuff happened to my Linux version.

Joey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 05:40:59 am »

Thought a bit more about this. Ubuntu does not by default install the 32 bit libraries, making it unable to run DF. You might want to install those libraries. I know I had the same problem as you the first time I tried to make DF run on linux. I know you said all packages you needed were installed, if you already have installed the 32 bit libraries, sorry. Anyways, this is the code you need to type into the terminal to install the 32 bit libraries:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Hope this helps!

glenatron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 03:51:36 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions - some I had thought of but others I hadn't.

The galling thing is that the solution appears to have been to download it again, which I did think I'd already done once. I guess the download must have got corrupted.  :-[