Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: getting the most out of trade carevans  (Read 992 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
getting the most out of trade carevans
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:25:11 pm »

I recently started a fortress, that appears to have no flux,  I attempted to order flux and coke and wood (due to the lack of wood in the area) the merchants seem to bring and big supply of wood but seem to only bring 3 or 4 things of flux and 3 or four things of bars,   I gave the merchants goods so that there trading profits are over 20,000 dwarf bucks (usually my entire supply of bone goods) but they typically only bring more wood.  How can I get the caravan to bring more flux,  more coke, and more charcole?

also my trade caravan asks me every year if i want to be a colony, I say no and they no longer offer me the ability to request specific goods is this normal?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: getting the most out of trade carevans
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 05:31:36 pm »

Caravans only bring at most 4 of any one item.  This limit appears to be hardcoded.  It does put a limit on how much flux you can import per year.

When you tell your liaison you don't want to be a colony, he leaves immediately, without giving you the screen where you can request goods to bring.  This is normal, unfortunately.  You'll have to accept having a Baron if you want to request specific goods again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 12:30:14 pm »

well that sucks, is this true for human and dwarf caravans?
if that is the case I do not think I can survive on trading for my flux like I had hoped,  maybe I will have to abandon this fort I have, but the site finder said there was flux so maybe I have not looked hard enough(though I am already down to magma)   Given my last fortress had something along the lines of 360 pieces of steel armor some how I don't think making 20 pieces of steel a year is going to cut it.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:39:30 pm »

well that sucks, is this true for human and dwarf caravans?
if that is the case I do not think I can survive on trading for my flux like I had hoped,  maybe I will have to abandon this fort I have, but the site finder said there was flux so maybe I have not looked hard enough(though I am already down to magma)   Given my last fortress had something along the lines of 360 pieces of steel armor some how I don't think making 20 pieces of steel a year is going to cut it.

Unfortunately this is true of all civilisations, you could try ordering flux, iron ore, bars and steel items (to melt). Or skip steel, go for cheaper metals or the more expensive cotton candy.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:27:02 pm »

that is a decent idea, I could trade for most my military equipment, it would not be that hard to get 40 bars of steel a year between humans and dwarfs and most of the armor necessary to equip 8 dwarfs per year plus or minus the smelting idea.... ... ... ... I already abandoned my fort though, a pity really I really really really really liked my location, maybe I should have just rushed adam. (considering i had several vains only 20 z levels down). o well I will try that idea if I have another site that does not give flux

also how do you get a human trade representative?  they come every year but i don't get a person to make trade agreements with.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 02:43:25 pm »

Regarding flux: Learn all kinds of flux, and order maximum amounts of each. This way you'll get 4 limestone, 4 marble, 4 dolomite, 4 chalk, and 4 calcite if they're all available. Ordering pig iron, steel bars, and steel goods will also bolster your stocks.

Regarding fuel: Build wood furnaces and have some dwarves with the Wood Burning labor active, and you can turn raw lumber into charcoal. Keep your wood stockpiles empty when you're expecting traders, so they'll bring lots of wood (they won't bring much if your wood stockpiles are already full of it!). In addition, you can request 4 lignite, 4 bituminous coal, 4 charcoal, and 4 coke from the traders.

You can't make trade agreements with humans or elves. Diplomats for humans only really exist to end wars, and elves at present don't have a diplomat to send.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 02:49:05 pm »

Regarding flux: Learn all kinds of flux, and order maximum amounts of each. This way you'll get 4 limestone, 4 marble, 4 dolomite, 4 chalk, and 4 calcite if they're all available. Ordering pig iron, steel bars, and steel goods will also bolster your stocks.

Regarding fuel: Build wood furnaces and have some dwarves with the Wood Burning labor active, and you can turn raw lumber into charcoal. Keep your wood stockpiles empty when you're expecting traders, so they'll bring lots of wood (they won't bring much if your wood stockpiles are already full of it!). In addition, you can request 4 lignite, 4 bituminous coal, 4 charcoal, and 4 coke from the traders.

You can't make trade agreements with humans or elves. Diplomats for humans only really exist to end wars, and elves at present don't have a diplomat to send.

well that sucks,

i don't have a problem with fuel or iron, there "was" a metric %^& ton of it my fortress to the point where I could make any thing and everything out of still and still have enough to equip a few dozen military squads.