Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Fun with one way floors: High speed triggers, automated goblin grinders and more  (Read 37165 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've built this but my animals, and foreign diplomats, have no trouble going through despite the pressure plates are set to repeat, don't trigger on citizens but trigger on anything between (min) 1000 and max (any) weights. What am I doing wrong? Do the diplomats also count as citizens?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

'Citizens' includes pretty much anything that isn't hostile.  Pressure plates set to be triggered by non-citizens will react to wild animals and invaders, but not to diplomats or your tame animals.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Trepach

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Just thought of something.  You'll want to have some kind of backup at the exit since I'm pretty sure the hatches and pressure plates could be destroyed by Building Destroyers, leaving it a straight path into your fort.
This never happens! If they break the hatches, they trap themselves because they cannot path over the channel. I had a forgotten beast lock itself out like this. It hit the plate, opening the hatch, got mad and smashed the hatch because it was "in the way". :)
I thought trap avoiding monsters dont "hit the plate". How do you trigger the hatches if a FB comes in? All I can think of is making him destroy a door with water behind it, which in turn can trigger the pressure plate. Also you'll have to bait the FB with a live animal so he dont destroy the hatch before entering the grinder.
I've never tried this, so give me some ideas

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Forgotten beasts don't trigger the plate, but they do insist on destroying the floor hatch before crossing it, resulting in them not being able to get past it anyway.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Trepach

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Will they ignore the hatch if they have already targeted an alive animal? The live bait has a bigger priority after all.
How do make the FB get in a room/ramp and stay there if no artefacts are present?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:45:49 pm by Trepach »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]