Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about colored wall/floors  (Read 3623 times)

Vondrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about colored wall/floors
« on: January 19, 2012, 04:15:04 pm »

There any mod that allows walls and floors replaced by others and allow engraving on them? (Replace with others, to prevent rainbows fortres)

Thank to all ;)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about colored wall/floors
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 04:50:18 pm »

Nope.

Floors are easy enough, mind you; if you construct something on a floor, then deconstruct the thing, the floor will be returned to the layer's base material. Walls, however, are more difficult, since there's no way to change the material of a wall, and constructed walls cannot be engraved without some really awkward shenanigans. The only way to have absolutely consistent engraved walls is to take advantage of the fact that when water and magma meet they form obsidian and just cast your entire fort in obsidian.

I mentioned awkward shenanigans. It turns out that if you smooth a natural floor, then designate it for engraving but don't actually allow any engravers to get to it before miners dig out ramps below (not channels on the same level; it has to be ramps below), sometimes the engrave designation won't disappear from the now-empty tile. Constructing things on those empty engrave-marked tiles may then maintain the engraving designation, and an engraver may then come along and engrave the constructions. This is considered a bug, albeit a minor one since it's so damned hard to use.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:52:01 pm »

Also, "colored" is not the preferred nomenclature. "African-American wall/floors," please.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 07:08:50 pm »

Also, "colored" is not the preferred nomenclature. "African-American wall/floors," please.
what if they were asian-americal walls/floors?  or, armok forbid, european-american walls/floors?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:29:17 am »

There's always magma casting.

Come on, guys, magma is ALWAYS the answer.

Vondrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:06:55 am »

Uhm... maybe magma be the answer... but how can i manage to make obsidiam in some few points without use a lot of mechanisms and buildings?

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 04:34:21 am »

what if they were asian-americal walls/floors?  or, armok forbid, european-american walls/floors?

As a european-american, I am wondering when we got included in the "colored" group.  Im as pink as the day I was born, and as far as my pappy taught me, pink ain't no color!

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 07:42:33 am »

Im as pink as the day I was born, and as far as my pappy taught me, pink ain't no color!

Nowadays in this era of political correctness, we refer to it as "light red"

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:47:19 am »

Uhm... maybe magma be the answer... but how can i manage to make obsidiam in some few points without use a lot of mechanisms and buildings?
You don't. You basically have to mine out the entire area above your target and control it carefully. If you want your whole fort to be a single color, you'd make a temporary fort area outside the eventual permanent one, channel out the entire superstructure, then cast it from the bottom up (it's easier to do underground than above, at least, since you don't have to construct scaffolding). Casting only a few places is even trickier than casting a full fort.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 03:07:04 pm »

There's always magma casting.

Come on, guys, magma is ALWAYS the answer.

Wait, this one requires Magma AND Water. Subtle difference.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:29:42 am »

Get a proper (non eye-burning) colour scheme, and rainbow fortresses won't bother you anymore. Well, for me anyway.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 08:32:01 am »

You can use DFhack to spawn obsidian walls. If you want obsidian walls that can be smoothed or engraved, spawn walls that way. I occasionally spawn 50X50X20 cubes slap bang in the middle of my embark for engraving purposes. I could cast it but...fuck that. Too lazy
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Vondrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 11:57:37 am »

You can use DFhack to spawn obsidian walls. If you want obsidian walls that can be smoothed or engraved, spawn walls that way. I occasionally spawn 50X50X20 cubes slap bang in the middle of my embark for engraving purposes. I could cast it but...fuck that. Too lazy

How? I have DFhack, but i don't find a option like this  :(

Edit: Finally find, thanks to all (But more for Wannazzaki  :D)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:51:54 pm by Vondrak »

Vondrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 02:52:06 pm »

I used the liquids command to replace my firts floors with obsidian, but now i have a problem... Game don't recognize obsidian stones (i cannot use them for nothing), don't exist apparently, but dwarfs hault them on the stockpiles...

I'm using Masterwork mod, maybe this modify the obsidian?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 03:19:07 pm »

I used the liquids command to replace my firts floors with obsidian, but now i have a problem... Game don't recognize obsidian stones (i cannot use them for nothing), don't exist apparently, but dwarfs hault them on the stockpiles...

I'm using Masterwork mod, maybe this modify the obsidian?
Nah, it's a known bug in vanilla. For some reason stones that have no use get put on the economic stones list, stones that can be used in a reaction are put on the economic stones list, and stones that are ores are put on the economic stones list. Obsidian, unfortunately, is none of these things; it has a use (sharp blades) but can't be used in a reaction and is not an ore. As such, it is not on the economic stones list, so you can't change its economic status. If you had an obsidian layer on embark, its economic status would start as disabled/green, but since you don't, it started as enabled/red, so only the make stone weapons jobs will use it.

Fixing this is fairly easy, fortunately. Go into your dwarf fortress folder/data/save/your fort's world's folder/raw/inorganic_layer.txt, find obsidian's entry (usually easiest by hitting ctrl-f then typing obsidian) and remove either [MAX_EDGE:20000] or just the brackets around that. Save and load up your fort and you'll be able to change obsidian's economic status in the z-stones screen. If you want to make obsidian weapons later, save your game, go back and undo the raw change you made, and things will work again. The economic status will remain as you set it.