Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorfs, tons of loot, pack mules  (Read 1104 times)

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dorfs, tons of loot, pack mules
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:53:31 am »

Oh how I wish that dorfs would utilize pack mules (animals) when picking up loot after a goblin invasion :(
It's total bollocks that each dorf is only allowed to carry one item at a time from the battlefield. It is the bane of any minimal-crew fortress.
I demand a new job designation - item hauler.
An item hauler dwarf would grab a bin or a mule or a horse and he'd collect designated piles of random items, 10 or more at a time, and then deliver each item in its rightful stockpile.
I'm aware of the practice of placing strategic temporary stockpiles near the battlefields. This is impractical, and you know it.
I can already envision a stubborn mule refusing to move once Urist has loaded the animal with items.
Or how an ill-tempered pack horse would run away from Urist, falling down into a river, drowning, taking all the loot along to the bottom of the river.
Fun, no?

Is this something that's been requested dozens of times before?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfs, tons of loot, pack mules
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:00:47 am »

This is the crux of Improved Hauling, #1 item on Eternal Suggestion Voting.  As such it's reached the dev page:
Quote from: dev
Hauling Improvements
    * Being able to haul multiple small objects
    * Having multiple dwarves involved with item hauling for a job
    * Being able to move multiple objects with roughly the same destination at once
    * Wheelbarrows to haul more objects than can be carried
    * Minecarts
          o Wooden, stone-carved and metal tracks
          o Can be filled like stockpiles and moved between destinations
    * Work animals to tow carts and haul objects
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:05:42 am by Footkerchief »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:29:26 pm »

You could use the Wheelbarrow mod. It allows you to build loading and unloading stations, and the dwarf collects 5 items, puts them in the loading station and carries them AS ONE to the unloading station.

I use it in my mod as well, with 10 items per go. Other mods use it as well, it is quite common place.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 02:16:49 am »

I am speechless. And embarrassed. And grateful.