Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: IT'S TOO EASY!  (Read 7146 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: IT'S TOO EASY!
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2012, 12:11:13 am »

Making the militia captains generate mandates and demands would be an interesting challenge, you can't just let them get miserable like you can ordinary nobility since they are trained to kill.

it would also balance out the usefulness of smaller squads, since small squads would mean more captains to issue mandates.
I have had this feature in my mod for a while now. 5 mandates for the military commander and 1 for each subsequent captains. Prisons generally arent empty from year 2 onward.

I don't want my commander and his captains telling me we can't export rings.

Dear Urist McMayor,

We seem to have a spy within our group. Someone has been engraving classified information of our fortress on rings, possibly as an attempt to communicate with hostile elements using our trades. For example, among the inspected rings, we found pictures depicting your dislike for flies. Surely this would be of grave danger for our fortress should someone weaponize it. Thus, I'd like to request for a prohibition in export of rings until this matter has been thoroughly investigated. Any expedition members insisting on selling them can be condemned as traitor suspect.

Best regards,
Urist McCommander

P.S. I'm tired of drinking the same old booze lately. Can we discuss about it in person later?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:21:30 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Rod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2012, 12:18:42 am »

How about allowing weaponmaster dwarfs to make demands or mandates..  After all, people complain that danger rooms effectively nerf the game as you can make a nigh on invincible army within a single season.  An army of axelord dwarves making demands and throwing tantrums might dissuade players from exploiting danger rooms early on.  Larger fortresses could support such demands and so could house an army of weaponmaster dwarfs.  Makes sense if you think about it.. After all, a legendary axedwarf would demand respect that befits his status.  He is not going to settle for a little hole in the ground when he's apparently a legend in the land. 

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2012, 12:22:57 am »

How about allowing weaponmaster dwarfs to make demands or mandates..
The 40d champion system no longer exist so it cannot be modded yet but this is a good idea.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2012, 04:52:59 pm »

I don't want my commander and his captains telling me we can't export rings.

Dear Urist McMayor,

We seem to have a spy within our group. Someone has been engraving classified information of our fortress on rings, possibly as an attempt to communicate with hostile elements using our trades. For example, among the inspected rings, we found pictures depicting your dislike for flies. Surely this would be of grave danger for our fortress should someone weaponize it. Thus, I'd like to request for a prohibition in export of rings until this matter has been thoroughly investigated. Any expedition members insisting on selling them can be condemned as traitor suspect.

Best regards,
Urist McCommander

P.S. I'm tired of drinking the same old booze lately. Can we discuss about it in person later?
[/quote]

I hereby redact my objection, that is fabulous.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2012, 11:56:34 am »

I just think its important to keep the ratio of difficulty/enjoyment in check. Sure, the difficulty of the game could always be increased, but there's a point where something becomes so ridiculously hard that it stops being a fun game, and just starts to become an irritating chore that makes you go through a bunch of procedures just so that you can survive long enough to actually do what you want.

There's nothing wrong with a good challenge, but making things challenging shouldn't be the only focus.

Agreed, and it's not good to make the game so tough that it presents a huge barrier to entry from new players.  I've only played the game for a few months now, and I don't find it terribly difficult (good walls and drawbridges do that).  Rather, there's a shitload of details that need to be learned, and some stuff in the game isn't all that intuitive.  Now throw in even more difficulty to satisfy the most hardcore players, and it makes learning the basics of the game that much harder.

Having options that can make the game easier or harder at the player's discretion is what I'd prefer.  Already worldgen lets the player set things like savagery, mineral occurance and so on, and these can be tweaked more with the advanced options.  These things can affect how easy or hard the game is to some extent.  Maybe letting these options decide how deadly syndromes can get, how well the goblins fight, how many vampires and stuff can be a long-term threat is the best approach to satisfy everyone's differing tastes.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2012, 11:59:08 am »

there're already siege and megabeast toogles...

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2012, 04:19:14 pm »

ATTENTION

may i please request that 80% of the people posting in this thread and the OP,

read this page http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

toady will answer 90% of your complaints in the coming years, in a way that will keep the game playable for new players.
this info can also be gained from posts toady has made, and various other easily obtainable sources.

I don't mean to sound like an ass but 3 pages worth of this topic are either suggesting making this game impossible for new players, or stating things suggested in the page linked above.
I genuinely dont care if the game is too easy for YOU i happen to find it about right, and full well agree with the current development plan, plus maybe a few mods like genesis.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2012, 01:05:07 am »

toady will answer 90% of your complaints in the coming years, in a way that will keep the game playable for new players.

Toady has a list of about a thousand things that he wants to do, maybe, kinda, someday. So far he hasn't shown much interest in improving game balance. Having it on the list and never getting around to it is equivalent to not having it on the list. So those of us who are concerned about this problem need to keep making an issue of it, and not say "oh, it's on the list, it will get done eventually".

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2012, 01:33:41 pm »

I think you need to realize that this is toady's game. If it cost 10 to 20 dollars then you could complain, however you don't have to pay, don't have to donate, and about 80% of your concerns can be fixed with a little bit of modding. And you don't "Need to keep making an issue of it" I seriously doubt that continuing to tell toady about it will get it fixed. [/rant]
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2012, 06:20:23 pm »

Weeeeellllllllllll, sorry to sound like an ass, but here goes. Game is alpha, and has bugs and incomplete/unfinished features. Good example - massivley overpowered cage traps. If you insist on using them (which afterall, are a "flawed" feature), then of course it will seem too easy. Thats why we restrict ourselves to create an artificial challenege in a masterwork unfinished  game. That, or crank up the insane to try original, mad and different soltins, which are a challenge and reward in themselves.

Most of what you need will be in the next update, if the really nasty enhancements to evil areas live up to thier very high promise.

I actually don't use traps at all because I feel they are over powered.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2012, 09:32:17 pm »

I think you need to realize that this is toady's game. If it cost 10 to 20 dollars then you could complain, however you don't have to pay, don't have to donate, and about 80% of your concerns can be fixed with a little bit of modding. And you don't "Need to keep making an issue of it" I seriously doubt that continuing to tell toady about it will get it fixed. [/rant]

I'm sorry pal, but we certainly all do have the right to complain... It is, in fact, the only way anything could ever change. The basic fact that lot of people make an issue out of it is a proof that there are some problems about this game. The more complains there are, the bigger the problem is likely to be.

I have been playing this game for years now and I don't count anymore the donation I have made. The fact that I donated for this wonderful game has nothing to do with my "rights" to complain, but to illustrate the fact that long term player that actually really care about this game and it's long term developpement would like a vanilla version without gazillion gameplay flaws that goes from nimble to stupidly huge!

Mods are nice, but an enjoyable vanilla version is even better. The more people complain, the more likely it is to be fixed in a reasonable amount of time.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2012, 10:56:19 pm »

"The basic fact that lot of people make an issue out of it is a proof that there are some problems about this game."

This.  Right here.

Where are these "lots of people make an issue out of this game being too easy"?  No, seriously, I want to know.  Been watching this topic for a while and I think I've seen THREE people complain it's too easy while everyone else says, "It's fine, just mod it if you want it harder.  It's already plenty difficult for most of us".

To be honest, I don't think Toady is going to "make it harder" in the ways you want to exist.  In fact, if you leave the game "vanilla" and don't do "common defense strategies", the game is quite difficult.

I don't create an "all purpose defeats everything trap" because while it's a nice feat of engineering...  I simply do NOT want to focus entirely on defense.  I train a military and put up traps, but they don't always work.

I also let my dwarves roam all over the map to get what they want.

I also do NOT seal off the Caverns below.  I leave them open and let dwarves explore/patrol down there.  Heck, get a string of bad luck with a Forgotten Beast and he could wipe out ALL of your dwarves in short notice with some random status affliction (instant death effects are bad.... VERY BAD!).

I dunno, the game is "easy" if you avoid the hard stuff.  Easy to wall yourself into an area and never approach danger what-so-ever.  Easy to use a "danger room" exploit to train an unstoppable military in a season or two.  Easy to make backup saves or have your game save every season in case you screw something up.  Easy to pretty much avoid any kind of risk in the game.

However, Dwarf Fortress is not necessarily about that.  If you want it to be easy, it can be easy.  If you want it to be difficult, you can make it difficult.  Why do you think Toady leaves our ability to mod the game in it?  Why do you think it's made SO EASY to mod it?

Just saying...  The game is as easy or as hard as you make it.  Yeah, I can create a fortress where nobody dies too.  I can say "It's too easy!" when I choose to play that way.  I try to make it "Medium difficulty" for me though.  Just sayin'...

You yell and scream and offer complaints "the game is too easy!" but when we offer you EVEN EASIER solutions for making it harder...  Well, you pout and stomp your foot and whine and complain...  And then you scream at the top of your lungs, "well, the vanilla version should be harder!".

I seriously don't understand it.  The game is ALREADY as flexible or as hard/easy as you want to make it.

Oh, wait, I get it.

You are a LAZY PLAYER.  You don't want to be bothered to have to mod anything!  No, you want OTHER PEOPLE to do the work for you, because it's just too much time to make a game more difficult for yourself.  It's someone else's job to do that for you?  Really?  Why does it have to be Toady's job to make the game more difficult for you?  Why can't it be your responsibility to play in a way that makes the game harder for you?

Take some responsibility for yourself.  If you aren't entertained by the game (despite how easy it is to make it MUCH harder to play) then quit playing.  Or, wait for future versions when stuff is more fleshed out.  Perhaps more monsters will be added later with worse syndromes.  If you really do love the game (as much as I know you're going to CLAIM you do) then modding it and doing what you can to extend the life of it YOURSELF...  You'd try playing new ways.  You'd mod different stuff into the game (you can even create your own creatures!) to up the anté.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:06 am »

Stop flaming.
The developers are first making a framework after that framework is finished they will "calibrate". The game this process can take a long time especially in our case (Only 2 developers). Armok l failed because of this, there was no framework there was nothing. Don't try to put your cart ahead of your horses.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2012, 05:42:00 pm »

Armok l failed because of this, there was no framework there was nothing. Don't try to put your cart ahead of your horses.

Yeah, actually that's a great point..

for that note heres another.

DF follows a strange production cycle, it would seem we get a gradual addition of more features, a bunch of bugs get fixed, and then something HUGE gets added (Z-Levels)
after every HUGE addition the game is significantly worse for a time, even more unfortunately the 31.XX versions seem to be an optimization and balancing phase of some sort.
this has lead to many things being removes, but everything that was was bugged in some way, at the same time many new things have been added.

i have faith that toady will make something good.

On the bright side. the slow production cycle keeps DF off-mainstream, and these forums quite nice.
if you need difficulty, go get reph's mod, or if thats TOO much, get FD or maybe genesis, those add more enemies, and are somewhat incorporated in reph's anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]