Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: how do I make a perfect defense  (Read 1896 times)

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how do I make a perfect defense
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 01:47:39 am »

Lol well I'm not very experienced in the art of drowning, burning, and annihilating goblins before they get near anyone.

But I've been fiddling around with pressure plates, levers, flood gates and magma from my volcano and designed a lovely little passage into my fortress that locks whatever hostiles make it midway down the passage in then opens like 8 flood gates that pour delicious magma onto the poor souls who stood on the pressure plate.

Eh that's my two cents. I'm finding it's a ton of fun designing them and even more enjoyable watching goblins get charred for the first time in it. Lol.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 01:54:43 am »

Jaxler, here's the Watcher. (I didn't name it beholder because there's already a beholder mod (I THINK))

Drop this at the end of your body_standard.txt file
Code: [Select]
[BODY:WATCHER_BODY]

[BP:UB:watcher eye:watcher eyes][UPPERBODY]
[CATEGORY:BODY_UPPER][HEAD][DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1000]

[BP:RH:right eyehand:right eyehands][CON:UB][SIGHT][RIGHT]
[CATEGORY:HAND][DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1000]

[BP:LH:left eyehand:left eyehands][CON:UB][SIGHT][LEFT]
[CATEGORY:HAND][DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1000]

[BP:RF:right eyefoot:right eyefeet][CON:UB][SIGHT][RIGHT]
[CATEGORY:FOOT][DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1000]

[BP:LF:left eyefoot:left eyefeet][CON:UB][SIGHT][LEFT]
[CATEGORY:FOOT][DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1000]

and this at the end of Creature_standard.txt
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:WATCHER]
[DESCRIPTION:A creature entirely made up of eyes. It
is horrific to look at, but it's largely harmless and quite
skittish. It lollops around and is unable to stand.]
[NAME:watcher:watchers:watcher]
[CASTE_NAME:watcher:watchers:watchers]
[CREATURE_TILE:'e'][COLOR:8:0:1]
[PETVALUE:50]
[PET]
[TRAINABLE]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:3:3]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[FREQUENCY:5]
[NOBREATHE]
[NOBONES]
[NO_EAT]
[NATURAL_SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:15]
[FLEEQUICK]
[EVIL]
[MAXAGE:5:10]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:10:20]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:250:500]
[PREFSTRING:multiple eyes]
[GLOWTILE:164][GLOWCOLOR:4:0:1]
[BODY:WATCHER_BODY]
[NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:BONE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:BONE]

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE]
[HAS_NERVES]
[SPEED:4900]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:ICHOR:ICHOR_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ICHOR:LIQUID]
[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:100000]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[NO_SLEEP]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:GRAY:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:UPPER_BODY]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_RED:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:eye:PLURAL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAND]
[TLCM_NOUN:eye:PLURAL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FEET]
[TLCM_NOUN:eye:PLURAL

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 01:56:03 am »

There are errors in it, I think, but it works.

I gave it common_domestic so you can use it on embark.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 04:08:28 pm »

thanks. this is awesome, nice job
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 08:49:13 am »

Perfect defense is bridges between pillars. Place supports in the pillars and put a pressure plate on the outside pillar that will blow out both supports. Stops everything. from Goblins to Titans.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 12:22:05 pm »

I tend to use magma at my front door, a number of goblin grinders (Usually multiple pathways with different ones, hammers, saws, etc for comedic effect) in the middle areas, then my internal aquifier hooked to a drowning trap near the main interior "front gate" with a bridge. The front gate is in a 2 z-level high cavern with ballista aimed into it at ground level and archer positions up top, carved into the rock.  If I'm really wanting carnage, I'll add an exterior "tower" position with archers as well.

I've never had anything actually make it inside unless I wanted it to, beyond the one time I screwed up and let a FB into my aquifier where it popped up into my dining room. And even then it was killed fairly fast, thinned my population, and was hysterically funny to watch as it rampaged through the screaming dwarves.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 05:47:40 pm »

Ok look. I have a defense that so far does indeed remove armies from the face of the earth. It involves traps, fortifications and a death pit.

You have a bigass death pit. You have a series of bridges with 3 (or more. whatever.) + shaped
         X
====XXX====    <---like this. X is platforms, = is bridge.
         X

platform of land in between. Fill these sections of land with spinning blade traps (my personal favorite). The goblins will either dodge the traps and fall into the pit (which should be 10z levels deep minimum. Spikes at the bottom are a +) or they will die on the blade traps. Their corpses are also usually flung to either side, preventing (but NOt eliminating) clog. In the center of each platform, put a pressure plate to drop the bridges, also attached tp a lever for when they decide to camp the bridge. Now then, the fortifications should be surrounding the pit.

FFFFFFFF
F             F
=X==X==X=    here is a poor illustration. F is da fortifications. X is platforms.
F             F
  FFFFFFFF

Fill these with crossbows. They will shoot goblins right off the bridge via goblin dodging. All I have to do is set an alert for a single squad of marksdwarves, and the automated defenses take care of the rest. The marksdwarves also help against trapavoids, since theyll dodge into the pit from bolts even though they dodge traps. Mine has a bait-duck on the other side of the pits, tethered to a chain, as well as a flooding system attached to a river that drowns the pit and drains into the caverns.

I ain't no grand master dwarf, but this works beautifully for me. Shreds funvasions like nobody's business.

PS: put an expendable dog or something on the center platform for kobold duty. Furthermore, a goblin will occasionally koolaid-dodge his way to the other side unharmed. Just put a axedwarf or two, or maybe a swarm of dogs, over there and you'll be fine.

::EDIT::
Forgot something. Having a one-tile wide entrance to your fort is bull. Takes forever to clear the crap away from it due to cank. Here is my solution
  FFFFFFFFFFF
F                  F
---------------
==X===X===X=       the - are bridges hooked to their own switch. retract during siege time.
---------------
F                  F
  FFFFFFFFFFF
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:59:40 pm by dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 [2]