Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Magma Smelting Question  (Read 3662 times)

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Smelting Question
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 11:40:55 am »

Generally speaking nowadays all my forts are based on magma smelting at the magma sea level. Depending on how deep that is, i may or may not stick the rest of the fort right above it, or somewhere nearer the surface. If the magma sea is 100 levels from the surface, as it is in my current fort, i'll try to use the surface as little as possible. My trade depo and barracks (sleeping) are around level 40, with everything else below 30, for example - though i still train and defend on the surface (working towards complete cave adaption, 'spoze i'll use the caverns for wood and plants or whatever next embark maybe). But i find with enough haulers and a straight up/down 3x3 shaft of staircases, even the deepest maps haven't been a problem, really.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:42:50 am by schismatise »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 06:01:35 pm »

I solved it all!, i simply embarked with 4 proficient miners  8)

i had to make a new fort for... well certainly no reasons involving pumps, magma, and overlooked diagonal hallways near the main dining room...

seems the best solution is just to dig a small meeting area w/ farms, then dig like mad to the bottom of the map, built the entire fort on a "coastline" of sorts.
the nobles even have some nice windows looking into magma. took a damn lot of pumps to get the Moses effect going long enough to build the windows.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 06:58:52 am »

I solved it all!, i simply embarked with 4 proficient miners  8)

i had to make a new fort for... well certainly no reasons involving pumps, magma, and overlooked diagonal hallways near the main dining room...

seems the best solution is just to dig a small meeting area w/ farms, then dig like mad to the bottom of the map, built the entire fort on a "coastline" of sorts.
the nobles even have some nice windows looking into magma. took a damn lot of pumps to get the Moses effect going long enough to build the windows.

Sounds like a FUN solution.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 03:59:37 pm »

Alot of my worlds are played on a advanced gen'd shallow world. What you want to do to achieve a thin world; on the third to last page there are a number of options regarding Z-levels above layers. You'll want those at minimum. Then move to the cavern number option and reduce it to a single cavern layer. I frequently get forts with only 30-Zlevels between the surface and the magma.

Anyway, that's the process if anybody wants it still.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 05:26:24 pm »

Alot of my worlds are played on a advanced gen'd shallow world. What you want to do to achieve a thin world; on the third to last page there are a number of options regarding Z-levels above layers. You'll want those at minimum. Then move to the cavern number option and reduce it to a single cavern layer. I frequently get forts with only 30-Zlevels between the surface and the magma.

Anyway, that's the process if anybody wants it still.

Ill use it after this one falls, which wont take long as the population is about 30% domple dwarves after a ambush in the dining room during a party.
turns out, you really gotta keep an eye on your main area, forgot to post animals in the entry hallway.
Pages: 1 [2]