Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Orbital Drop Shock Dwarfs  (Read 2981 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orbital Drop Shock Dwarfs
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »

Wait, how would you get the dwarf in the cage in the first place?

violate production mandates.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 02:03:30 pm »

Wait, how would you get the dwarf in the cage in the first place?

violate production mandates.

Stun them.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 05:08:59 pm »

What would happen if a single dwarf was placed in a 5 x 5 box of stone with a space for him to stand in the middle, with a support holding up the rock above his head? If that was the pod that was dropped onto the siegers, would he survive? What if a door was placed to the side of him on the middle level of the pod (it would cover 3 z levels)?

My experiments in the arena tend to result in the death of the occupant of the pod because the rock above their heads will fall in on them. A support may correct that. If you remove the rock above their heads they live, but they're very badly hurt. I've just tried it there and the dwarf flew out of the top of the falling pod and landed on the ground outside, bleeding profusely. Another I dressed in some adamantine armour was hit in the wrong way and bled to death, the other one's fine. He was only wearing a loincloth. Unconscious though. Another dwarf I dropped 6 z levels wearing a mail shirt (the others didn't have one) and a full set of adamantine armour is completely fine. No damage at all.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:25:51 pm by Owlbread »

rknewell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 05:28:20 pm »

Didn't the dwarven magma submersible thread discuss filling a capsule with water, and then immediately after filling the capsule with water drop the capsule into the magma sea? Perhaps a similar approach would work here with some sort of bucket like device?

Leif

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 05:36:13 pm »

Magma submerisble? Oh hell yes, I must build one!
Indeed.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 05:37:55 pm »

Didn't the dwarven magma submersible thread discuss filling a capsule with water, and then immediately after filling the capsule with water drop the capsule into the magma sea? Perhaps a similar approach would work here with some sort of bucket like device?

I've been experimenting with this. You have to be careful, if there is an open space the rock roof will fall in to fill it. If you have a bucket shaped construction, magma can flow over the top and go into the actual bucket, rendering it useless. Almost.

Leif

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 05:43:08 pm »

Perhaps a new release would make this somewhat possible.
Indeed.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 12:53:47 pm »

So wait, if a dorf is in a hollow stone "box"

Such as

XXX
X☺X
XXX
And with a wall on each side as well so he's entirely contained, then dropped... he suffers -no- damage from impact?
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 01:30:11 pm »

So wait, if a dorf is in a hollow stone "box"

Such as

XXX
X☺X
XXX
And with a wall on each side as well so he's entirely contained, then dropped... he suffers -no- damage from impact?

It's hard to tell because he always dies from the stone above his head falling on him and crushing him.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 03:43:16 pm »

This:

Code: [Select]
XXX
X X
XXX

when dropped, turns into this:

Code: [Select]
X X
XXX
XXX

Anything in the center is destroyed.  Supports and other buildings are also destroyed.  There have been many, many attempts to make this work, and none have succeeded.  When a construction falls in DF, it doesn't fall as a single block.  Each tile of rock wall will fall as a single tile - DF doesn't have any notion of something that's not supported by the map, but is still connected to other constructions or buildings.  It's either supported by the map, or deconstructed and falling.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 2 [3]