Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pause game on struck down, bled to death or shot and killed  (Read 619 times)

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
Pause game on struck down, bled to death or shot and killed
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:45:33 am »

Can I hack announce.txt to pause the game when a dwarf gets killed? How? Does anyone else play this way? I don't think it would be annoying as much as useful especially if I can center on the dead dwarf the instant he dies instead of doing it a minute later when the killer has moved on and away.

I'm doing a write-up about two dwarven children in my fort, a boy and a girl, at http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98850.60. For each dead dwarf I should check their relationship to Udib and Tun for purposes of the story but I don't bother when four or five die at a time, it'd be too much trouble. I wouldn't mind doing it -as- each dwarf dies. If the game would pause and center on that that'd make it pretty easy to investigate what that particular death means to my fort and my story, and it would reveal the location of the dangerous animal better than zooming to the death announcement or fight report -after the fact- does

Like I said does anyone else already have the game set up to pause when a dwarf dies and if so, what did you do?
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Pause game on struck down, bled to death or shot and killed
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:03:27 am »

[CITIZEN_DEATH:A_D:D_D:UCR_A:BOX:P:R]
A_D log combat data in adventure mode
D_D log combat data in fortress mode
BOX is a popup saying UristMcKilled has been <reason of death>
P pause the game
R center the screen to the unfortunate

I do play with this setting. My woodcutters get killed by deers and elephants on a monthly basis and I dont want to be short on log supply.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
Re: Pause game on struck down, bled to death or shot and killed
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:16:13 am »

Thank you!
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV