Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding the curious underground structure(SPOILERS!!!!)  (Read 1255 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding the curious underground structure(SPOILERS!!!!)
« on: January 11, 2012, 01:56:16 pm »

So, I've done many forts, but I've never been able to find the demonic fortress. How do I go about reliably finding this feature?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Finding the curious underground structure(SPOILERS!!!!)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 02:05:17 pm »

Systematically embark in one region tile. Look for a masterwork adamantine weapon in the (z) (stocks) (weapons) section. The Fortress is now demonic :D

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 02:15:39 pm »

Make your world, then make a copy of it. On one copy, embark over full 16x16 areas, see if there's an upright candy weapon, locate it, figure out which particular local tile it's in (each tile on the embark map's local section is a 48x48 tile in fort mode), then on the other copy embark on the same region tile on the same local map square that the demonic fortress was in the first copy.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 03:51:55 pm »

well, the systematic approach was no joy(I even did reveal to make sure DF wasn't messing up!) and 16x16 crashes my system, so now what?
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 03:55:25 pm »

The method I outlined above, except instead of 16x16, "as large as you can embark on without crashing." 8x8 maps would require up to 4 times as many embarkation attempts to search a given region tile, but if you don't care about starting resources, you can get into a map reasonably quickly. Just embark, look around, then abandon if you don't see the structure and repeat.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »

quick question: Does killing DF without saving change the location of the demon fort? I've been using DFhack's kill utility to avoid unsightly rows of forts and so I don't have to duplicate the world

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 04:31:06 pm »

quick question: Does killing DF without saving change the location of the demon fort? I've been using DFhack's kill utility to avoid unsightly rows of forts and so I don't have to duplicate the world
the location of the demon fortress is always static, but the layout of the fortress itself is likely to change as much as the surrounding minerals and your starting 7 dwarves do (the fortress layout may not actually change, but i'm not entirely sure) when you kill the DF process before saving and then embarking again on the exact same spot.

in fact, you can count out 48x48 squares (the size of one local map tile) from the corner of the map [all the way to the demon fortress, in those 48x48 square chunks] and accurately tell which tile of the region the demon fort is on, and make a 2x2 tile fortress for maximum game speed.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 04:34:02 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 04:37:26 pm »

If you want to play around with one, the Inn of Drowning in my sig has a pristine untouched demonic fortress in the third cavern level.  Granted there is already a fort in the way, but...nothing prevents you from loading the earliest save in the threat and starting from scratch.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 04:41:43 pm »

....then I'm stumped as I can't seem to find it. What's up with that?!

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 04:58:50 pm »

Do you have 3 cavern layers?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 06:39:39 pm »

....I thought you only needed 2 cavern layers for the demon fort? if not, then ok then