Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: small birds  (Read 1274 times)

Seidr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
small birds
« on: January 12, 2012, 11:25:16 am »

Greets all, this is my first post and i have a question. This may be dumb and probably asked/answered already, but I've spent the last 2 days looking before i decided to post (and have looked in the past). is it at all possible to breed small birds...? I.E. bluejays and whatnot, i figure nest boxes are too big as they don't seem to use them (and being that they are vermin) and i have read that things do not breed while caged... but traders show up with small bird eggs quite regularly... again sorry if this is an old question. 

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: small birds
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:28:39 am »

This should probably be in the Dwarf Fortress General or Fortress Mode forums.

But IIRC there is no way to breed vermin. But its been a while since I played DF frequently.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:33:46 am »

On a slightly more serious note, you probably can. The main problem with birds in a cage is that they will be more tense, and thus less willing to produce eggs. If you really want an accurate answer I'd take this elsewhere. Maybe to a site more dedicated to birds. Either that or you can move it to Life Advice, because this is basically asking for a solution to a problem.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 11:42:59 am »

On a slightly more serious note, you probably can. The main problem with birds in a cage is that they will be more tense, and thus less willing to produce eggs. If you really want an accurate answer I'd take this elsewhere. Maybe to a site more dedicated to birds. Either that or you can move it to Life Advice, because this is basically asking for a solution to a problem.
I think he meant in DF, not RL.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Seidr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:43:20 am »

hahaha

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:51:02 am »

This is what I get for missing the word vermin. Still, it might be nice to post in a bird-related forum with random DF questions on birds.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 12:14:02 pm »

This is what I get for missing the word vermin. Still, it might be nice to post in a bird-related forum with random DF questions on birds.

ROFL...first post on birdfanciers.com:

"Hi, I keep trying to get my orioles to lay eggs but they won't. Do you think it's because their nesting box menaces with spikes, or because it's covered in blood and vomit?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:36:19 pm »

This should probably be in the Dwarf Fortress General or Fortress Mode forums.

Nah, it should've gone in DF Gameplay Questions.

...Just thought I'd mention that now that the question has been answered.
Love, scriver~

Seidr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 12:54:41 pm »

ROFL...first post on birdfanciers.com:

"Hi, I keep trying to get my orioles to lay eggs but they won't. Do you think it's because their nesting box menaces with spikes, or because it's covered in blood and vomit?"

I laughed out loud at that first response too, but mostly because reading through the beginning I was astounded that there was a 'caged behavior' modifier written into the code for small birds' mating habits and stress levels. 'this game just got more intense... oh wait, no it didn't...' I'll post in the appropriate forum next time, Ive learned my lesson thoroughly, sorry for the confusion. :-X