Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hauling Magma  (Read 3860 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Hauling Magma
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 09:18:27 pm »

Magma well?

It'd certainly be nice to have magma forges closer to the surface without requiring a volcano.
That's what pump stats are for.

I suppose so, but I still have problems with water pump stacks.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 09:36:38 pm »

I accidentally made some buckets out of nether-cap wood in my latest fort with some underground pastures.
Then, I realized - hey... these would be perfect for hauling magma.

Even normally magma-safe materials made into buckets might burn your dwarves as the heat transfers, but nether cap would solve that problem neatly.

Who needs boiling oil when you could just designate a magma pond on the edge of the walls? :)

While I wholeheartedly approve of the thought of hauling magma from a FUN! point of view, I would think that anything that stays cold and protects from magma burns would also cool the magma into obsidian.

Not sure one could code this without potentially causing all sorts of other weird temperature related buglets.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 10:50:16 am »

One way I could envision such a bucket is like this:
- Inner layer of magma-safe metal or rock
- Center layer of air with magma-safe, heat-insulating rock
- Outer layer (with lid) of naturally-cold material or fellow heat-insulating material.

The air and insulating rock would prevent the magma from cooling down too much and prevent the outer layer from heating up too much, allowing one to carry magma over short distances. It's also technologically doable if you can make leakproof magmasafe metal inner buckets for this.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 01:08:04 pm »

One way I could envision such a bucket is like this:
- Inner layer of magma-safe metal or rock
- Center layer of air with magma-safe, heat-insulating rock
- Outer layer (with lid) of naturally-cold material or fellow heat-insulating material.

The air and insulating rock would prevent the magma from cooling down too much and prevent the outer layer from heating up too much, allowing one to carry magma over short distances. It's also technologically doable if you can make leakproof magmasafe metal inner buckets for this.

Insulated buckets are another matter entirely.  The original idea was to use nethercap, which maintain a cold temperature.  Don't know if dwarves know enough about thermodynamics to build a magma thermos though :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 04:11:59 pm »

With all the elf-magmaing and ore-magmaing they do, I'd be surprised if they weren't intimately familiar with !!thermodynamics!!

Besides, back then they did know enough to make cellars that'd cool down in the winter and stay colder than the rest of the house for most of the year. Or so I heard, once. Perhaps they would know. Besides, we're constantly finding out that ancient civilizations knew far more than we give them credit for... this isn't all that far-fetched. Except for the magma part, obviously :P
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:14:37 pm by Urist McCheeseMaker »

Aleksander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 08:24:46 pm »

1-Build a cage made of nether-cap for a particularly stupid/useless/noble dwarf
2-Build a contraption to drop this cage into the magma sea (I guess this needs to be #1)
3-Assign Urist McWhoever to the chamber
4-Drop

If the dwarf survives, magma buckets are possible.
If they don't, nothing of value was lost
Dragons will add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 12:28:12 am »

1-Build a cage made of nether-cap for a particularly stupid/useless/noble dwarf
2-Build a contraption to drop this cage into the magma sea (I guess this needs to be #1)
3-Assign Urist McWhoever to the chamber
4-Drop

If the dwarf survives, magma buckets are possible.
If they don't, nothing of value was lost
I dunno, stupid and useless dwarves make good haulers. :-\
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Aleksander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2012, 12:28:11 pm »

Meh, my comp can't handle forts big enough to make it worth dedicated haulers.
Dragons will add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 07:22:22 pm »

Make sure your Magma Hauler has a high Helpful attribute.  Since the task involves a bucket, it'd use the patient feeding option, logically.

Hehe.

Sincerely,
Knutor

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 2 [3]