Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Unit Timeline  (Read 3307 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Unit Timeline
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 10:09:13 am »

Perhaps this could be the dwarf's "memory". If the player is indeed Armok, you could be looking inside the dwarf's memories to see his life as he remembers it. I don't know if you fellows would like this, but maybe his memories could become distorted through magic, age or madness for example he might remember his father as a jackal and having spoken to a god.

To make this biography continue after death, you could assign a literate dwarf to write down his biography so you can read it.

This would make perfect sense. Much like a broker is needed to calculate the fortresses wealth, a scribe is needed to record the dwarves history.  Say you have a year to assign your scribe an empty slab to write down his history or it starts becoming corrupted.  You can but the slab in the tomb and read it at your leisure.

Quote from: Monkeyhead
This is one of those rare things - a good, original idea that would actually make a positive change in the game, and it is actually feasable to see it implemented. Nice one.

And thanks. I'm still waiting for Footkerchief to come in with his links to other threads. I can't believe there is actually something that NOBODY has suggested.

If you assign a scribe to record it who wasn't there, he might put down a completely different set of events on the slab depending on the story he's heard. You've essentially created a real Dwarven legend that way.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 10:10:48 am »

It's like legends mode in fortress mode :D

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 10:21:58 am »

Perhaps this could be the dwarf's "memory". If the player is indeed Armok, you could be looking inside the dwarf's memories to see his life as he remembers it. I don't know if you fellows would like this, but maybe his memories could become distorted through magic, age or madness for example he might remember his father as a jackal and having spoken to a god.

To make this biography continue after death, you could assign a literate dwarf to write down his biography so you can read it.

This would make perfect sense. Much like a broker is needed to calculate the fortresses wealth, a scribe is needed to record the dwarves history.  Say you have a year to assign your scribe an empty slab to write down his history or it starts becoming corrupted.  You can but the slab in the tomb and read it at your leisure.

Quote from: Monkeyhead
This is one of those rare things - a good, original idea that would actually make a positive change in the game, and it is actually feasable to see it implemented. Nice one.

And thanks. I'm still waiting for Footkerchief to come in with his links to other threads. I can't believe there is actually something that NOBODY has suggested.

If you assign a scribe to record it who wasn't there, he might put down a completely different set of events on the slab depending on the story he's heard. You've essentially created a real Dwarven legend that way.
This remembers me of those ancient greek scribes/historians who wrote about frog, bricks, cows rains.
Maybe those reports could be affected by the dwarf personality.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 11:03:23 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"..Urist's last words were 'Dibs on the sock!'  That was my wife's favorite sock, you moron."
... Now that would be a fun read

But doing some research on this, I found that they actually have a Language arc coming up. So they will probably do a lot of stuff with scribes then. Right now I'd be satisfied with just the bare bones basics.
Playing since 2007

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 11:23:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"..Urist's last words were 'Dibs on the sock!'  That was my wife's favorite sock, you moron."
... Now that would be a fun read

But doing some research on this, I found that they actually have a Language arc coming up. So they will probably do a lot of stuff with scribes then. Right now I'd be satisfied with just the bare bones basics.

Yeah. This record of dwarf-related events and actions should be just like the announcements. Dwarves will add flavor when they start writing books and such.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 11:27:22 am »

I'm glad there are some supporters out there! Like I said, I don't know the source code, but I think it would only take a genius like Toady maybe half a day at the longest to code it in.  It's not a MAJOR change. Just a minor change to the already existing interface.

And I think it would be a good idea to have them persist after death. When you view a dwarf corpse, you can have the option of viewing how he or she died, and the event leading up to their death.

Instead of persisting after death, I'd rather see it preserved in the form of some diary or biography or wall engravings on their bedroom . Would be awesome if dwarves kept blogs by engraving their bedroom walls or picking up some random stone and carving it up :)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 11:07:59 pm »

I as chairman of the board of fortresses aprove.

But I would also like some way to get the (clear) picture maby in a side mode of legends that only does specific forts.

Like it would say "urist mcstupid was pushed in a well and eatten by carp" and "urist mcdorfpusher said he fell evryone belevied him".

But you would have to leave fort mode so you would not execute mcpusher on the spot.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 11:47:10 pm »

Wow. From a simple suggestion we go to a total overhaul of legends mode. Its a great idea though. It doesn't even need to be a complete redo. Just look at how sites are usually displayed in legends, then add a greater level of detail for user-controlled forts. Knowing Toady, though, I think that adding grudges and personal gossip into one site will eventually necessitate putting that sort of detail in ALL sites. And while that would be awesome I would have no idea how to go about it. Maybe for the language and personality arc there will be some updates on that score.

And eventually the timelines that are loaded into fortress mode on the units screen could be dumped to legends after FUN happens! We could go see all the units from the fort, when they migrated, and maybe even their history from before they came! Now that the next release contained ACTUAL migrants instead of those random-generated ones, I can see this as becoming possible.

Which brings me up to one last point that I really wanted to make.  Since migrants ARE procedurally generated as part of the world, maybe their pre-history can be uploaded to the timeline as well. If we're lucky, it could spit out a reason for why they left! (War, disease, wunderlust, etc.)
Playing since 2007

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2012, 12:56:04 am »

All we need now are horrible events like kittens breeding and elves coming to the fortress to make good stories.
Pages: 1 2 [3]