Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving by the bucket  (Read 769 times)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moving by the bucket
« on: January 08, 2012, 03:26:56 pm »

Fellow Dwarfherders,

I set up a nice obsidian production facility in Cave Three, and have some guys chipping obsidian blocks for a living.
Now they have a stockpile with obsidian blocks down there, but I would like to have them at the surface.

If I just set up another stockpile up there, they move the stuff blockwise. How can I make them move the blocks by the bucket?

While I'm at it, something in the back of my head says that there is a way to make a workshop to use only this or that kind of material - where can I set this? Workshop Preferences only allow to set the worker, not the material.

Yours, Christian
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moving by the bucket
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 04:12:20 pm »

Fellow Dwarfherders,

I set up a nice obsidian production facility in Cave Three, and have some guys chipping obsidian blocks for a living.
Now they have a stockpile with obsidian blocks down there, but I would like to have them at the surface.

If I just set up another stockpile up there, they move the stuff blockwise. How can I make them move the blocks by the bucket?

While I'm at it, something in the back of my head says that there is a way to make a workshop to use only this or that kind of material - where can I set this? Workshop Preferences only allow to set the worker, not the material.

Yours, Christian

I don't think you can move a block in a bucket. Square does not fit into circle, does it?

Put a stockpile of that material right next to the workshop. If they can use it, and it's the closest thing around, they will.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 04:17:46 pm »

Blocks don't go in buckets.  Blocks go in bins.  Make wooden (or metal) bins, and your dwarves will put the blocks in them.  They should then be able to move the blocks a bin at a time.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:06:08 am »

Blocks don't go in buckets.  Blocks go in bins.  Make wooden (or metal) bins, and your dwarves will put the blocks in them.  They should then be able to move the blocks a bin at a time.
Sorry for the confusion - I actually meant bins, not buckets.
But so far I have only seen items moved by the bin when they loaded the stuff in a bin located in another stockpile, and then moved that bin on the target stockpile. I never noticed my dwarves to move them binwise from stockpile A to stockpile B. But I'll give it another try...
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 01:31:59 pm »

I think you would want to make a stockpile for bins and a stockpile for blocks that allows bins next to the source of the blocks, once the blocks are all in the bins remove the blocks stockpile and re-make it where you want them to end up.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:31:59 pm »

I think you would want to make a stockpile for bins and a stockpile for blocks that allows bins next to the source of the blocks, once the blocks are all in the bins remove the blocks stockpile and re-make it where you want them to end up.
Correct. While if you use the (t)ake command to make one stockpile take from another they will only move the blocks 1 block at a time, if you actually delete the stockpile then they should move entire bins. This is because the bins are assigned to a given stockpile, meaning that the take command will not move them. Deleting the stockpile frees up the assignment though, allowing them to be hauled in one trip over to the new stockpile.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:49:28 am »

While if you use the (t)ake command to make one stockpile take from another they will only move the blocks 1 block at a time, if you actually delete the stockpile then they should move entire bins. This is because the bins are assigned to a given stockpile, meaning that the take command will not move them. Deleting the stockpile frees up the assignment though, allowing them to be hauled in one trip over to the new stockpile.
Ah, that was the missing piece of information - I have to delete the Stockpile entirely. I only reduced the stockpiles size so far (to force them moving some of the stuff upstairs), but that made them move the bricks individually.

Thanks to all for the help!

Christian

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 11:41:58 am »

Huh? My haulers mostly haul the bins when I select the "take from" option to mass-move my blocks. At least until the destination pile is full of bins. After that, they go block-by-block (since the blocks are used and must be replaced one-by-one - unless I disable the "take from" for some time).
So initial 'pile stocking is very fast in my fortresses. Strange.