Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Specifics of dodging  (Read 963 times)

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Specifics of dodging
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:11:36 pm »

When dwarves, or for that matter any creature that can dodges; does it simply move in a random direction one tile and then drop to whatever tile is below it? Or does it say follow a more ballistic like trajectory where say jumping of a tall cliff would leave the dwarf splattered a few tiles away rather than right next to the base of the cliff?

And yes I know the direction is not random but specifically chosen as the worst possible place they could dodge to (hehe).

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Specifics of dodging
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:27:37 pm »

It seems to be random to me, aye.
I'd say personally that if I was a dwarf and knew the area I was fighting on (like a bridge) I wouldnt try to dodge a measly goblin attack by jumping off the bridge and to death 20Z levels down...

Would have been nice if you could toggle an area to be "no dodging allowed" for dwarves , that would at least solve a lot of small problems with berserk dwarves more or less running to their death when they smell enemy blood.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 09:31:03 pm »

I think it's just 'As far away as one tile move gets them away from the opponent' with sadism code inserted to make dwarves more likely to choose precipices over safe tiles.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 09:39:06 pm »

Dwarf Fortress does not simulate ballistic motion at all.  It's move sideways, then fall straight down.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 09:43:08 pm »

Ok, thanks. I've been thinking of making a large pit with 1 tile wide bridges crisscrossing above and below each other on multiple Z levels. Funnel enemies and my dwarves into there and watch them duke it out. Imagining dwarves jumping between bridges and stuff. Does anyone know if a dwarf can fall one tile height from a dodge and not get hurt?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 09:50:21 pm »

A one tile fall does not injure anything (maybe if it falls on spikes?).

Do note that occasionally things will get attacked more than once in one frame, and this can allow them to dodge multiple tiles, up to 1 tile per dodge. This happens most often with weapon traps, which can attack up to 30 times simultaneously.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 10:07:28 pm »

Has anyone thought of using weapon traps, really good dodging dwarves and thirty tile long corridors as freeways?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 10:47:34 pm »

Has anyone thought of using weapon traps, really good dodging dwarves and thirty tile long corridors as freeways?

Yes, but each dodge is random so they could fly back and forth instead of straight away from the trap.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 10:57:42 pm »

If I remember, when you put 10 training spears in a weapon trap and a goblin steps on it, they can dodge as far as 10 spaces, one "dodge" for each weapon. No quoting me on that though...

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 11:29:17 pm »

If I remember, when you put 10 training spears in a weapon trap and a goblin steps on it, they can dodge as far as 10 spaces, one "dodge" for each weapon. No quoting me on that though...

Oops, sorry.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games