Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two forgotten beasts in a cavern, don't know how to kill them!!!  (Read 826 times)

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello, once again I am in need of help.

In a cavern (i sealed it off) there are two forgotten beasts. Although they pose no threat to me now, one of them seems to be causing me a bit of lag. Even if it is just my imagination, I will still need to kill him eventually.

So without further ado, there are the two forgotten beasts:

Ib
An enormous blob composed of water. It has a round shell and appears to be emaciated. Beware it's webs!

How do I kill it? Light it on fire!?

But here is the bugger:

Alu
A huge blob comprised of flame. It has a knobbly shell and it undulates rhythmically.

Now, how do I kill this thing? How do I kill a beast made of flame? Do I flood him with water??? I think he is causing me a lot of lag because he is walking around in 2/7 deep water causing a LOT of steam all over. I don't know why the water is there but there is 2/7, 3/7,1/7 depths of water in a large chunk of one of the caverns. Perhaps it is caused by the other forgotten beast. But anyway, how do I kill it (i have a large military but they mostly have just copper weapons!!!) and do you guys think the constant creation of large portions of steam is causing me lag or am i insane?

i wish they would just kill each other >.<
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:21:29 am by Gunnarr »

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two forgotten beasts in a cavern, don't know how to kill them!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 01:48:12 am »

Both large expanses of nearly-empty water that's constantly trying to refill and tons of steam clouds hurt FPS.

The water one will die in a couple of punches or from a single dog. The flame one will also die in a couple of punches, and then explode. If you don't have marksdwarves then it will be very hard to get close enough and if you do it will be the last thing the squad you send in ever does. Armok be with whoever draws the short straw. Post the results!
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:18:14 am »

Ha ha fire and water, cool FB combo. But yeah, they'll die very quickly from pretty much anything. Don't bother flooding the caverns with anything, the fire FB would evaporate all the water and they can't drown/take damage from magma anyways.

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:42:15 am »

i am currently making a place to fight them but something very bad occured regarding something else.. im going to make a new post for this and get back to this one later with results haha

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:24:28 am »

Carve some fortifications into the cavern walls and shoot at them from behind the walls.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 09:18:51 am »

Send a wrestler dwarf alone.
Water and fire are fairly weak materials, he should win with a single punch.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.