Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: starting up problems  (Read 516 times)

joihnsonlee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
starting up problems
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:58:49 pm »

i just download Stonesense_Slate_2.3 and when i run the game all i get to a black screen with "connecting to DF" and nothing happens.

please help.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: starting up problems
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:29:31 pm »

You're probably using a more recent version of Dwarf Fortress than that version of Stonesense can connect to. The independent versions of Stonesense only go up to 31.21, while the most recent version of Dwarf Fortress, which you probably downloaded if you got it off the main page, is 31.25. Anymore, Stonesense is bundled with the DFHack utility library as a plugin for said library.

Just so we're clear, though, Stonesense is not a game. It is what's called a visualizer; it reads from Dwarf Fortress the game and makes a pretty picture from that data. You cannot interact with Dwarf Fortress at all through Stonesense, meaning you have to do the actual play in the ASCII interface (or a graphics and/or tile set if you're lame (there's something of a friendly rivalry between people who use the default ASCII graphics and tile sets and those who don't)).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!