Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I make ambushes/sieges more frequent? how do I lose?  (Read 524 times)

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I make ambushes/sieges more frequent? how do I lose?
« on: January 09, 2012, 08:02:26 am »

I haven't had one in two years now for some reason, it's getting boring.

And I'd like to have to actually need my hospital and doctors for once.

The only thing I know of is embarking in 'evil' ? areas is rather dangerous, but what does that mean? dangerous wildlife? not actually more frequent ambushes/thieves/snatchers/sieges?

I want to lose my fortress in a battle, not by accidently flooding it with magma or murdering all my dwarfs.

I'd prefer not to modify any files at the moment, I just want more combat. So do some areas make ambushes more frequent? embarking near a goblin fortress or something?

I think I read there is a mod that sort of does something like what I'm wanting?

I'm still pretty inexperienced, but I want to lose my fortress in a year or three, I think embarking somewhere very dangerous would help me learn better. How should I go about this?

I want to have some real fun already!

Urist_The_First

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: How can I make ambushes/sieges more frequent? how do I lose?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 09:35:54 am »

As I understand it, the matrix of embark types is made up of one axis of "Goodness" (good, neutral, evil) and one of "Savagery" (calm, normal, savage).  Which gives:

Calm      Normal       Savage

Evil
:        Sinister | Haunted     | Terrifying
Neutral:  Calm     | Wilderness | Untamed wilderness
Good:      Serene | Mirthful      | Joyous wilds

Increasing savagery makes more ferocious animals appear (tigers etc.), evil embarks have UNDEAD monstrosities (skeletal mountain goats etc.).  This is the only difference as far as I am aware, I don't think you are more likely to be Gobbo sieged in an evil area.  Both ferocious animals and undead are a hassle before you have got underground/walled up.  After that, they tend to be little bother as they don't attack in the same way as Gobbos, but rather wander around and chase anyone who ventures outside.

I believe distance to goblin fortresses ("Dark towers"?) is a factor in how soon you can be sieged.  Not sure about frequency/size of attacking forces.  Also, exported wealth, created wealth and population may have a role too.  I'm sure there are better informed people here and the wiki must have something on this too.

UtF

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:08 am »

get the fortress defense mod from the modding section, more attacking races, multiple large can arrive in one season.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 01:17:22 pm »

No traps, no exploits, pure and simple military. And embark on a map with no fuel, trees or metal. And have that embark overlap a savage and a terrifying biome. Plus a third if possible.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:13 pm »

Fortress Defense Mod is godly and you can make it anywhere from lol dark stranglers to badgermen in steel armor just tossed my militia captain in a volcano wtf hard. Just... accept that there are going to be casualties. Lots of them.

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:32:48 pm »

Fortress Defense Mod is godly and you can make it anywhere from lol dark stranglers to badgermen in steel armor just tossed my militia captain in a volcano wtf hard. Just... accept that there are going to be casualties. Lots of them.
I think I'll download that mod now. I want casualties! I haven't had the chance to use my beautiful well stocked hospitals yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 12:30:00 am »

If you really want an increase in sieges but don't necessarily want to stray far from vanilla, you can add [ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING][ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER][ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN][ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER] to any entity and that will cause them to send four sieges every year instead of only 1. This does have the side effect of causing them to send four caravans if you are at peace with them however.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.