Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does actual combat increase dwarfs military skills far more than training?  (Read 1055 times)

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just out of curiosity, I've been relying on traps for my past few fortresses. But I've been sending my military the past 5-6 ambushes getting no kills or captures with my traps. And while I haven't checked my militarys skills before they start crushing skulls, I swear they gain some good levels each time.

So, is sending my military out on the early, easy ambushes everytime a good idea to get them some good training?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

yes, it's faster then sparring / training. Cage traps some easy animals and have your men ganging on them is very safe and quickly grant xp.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Or disarmed enemies.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

Or disarmed enemies.
goblin master wrestlers are a force to be reckoned with.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Or disarmed enemies.
goblin master wrestlers are a force to be reckoned with.
More training :P
Danger room trained goblins VS new recruits

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's very wise to figure out how to disarm enemies and construct a mass-pitting arena. It's that or spend all your time cleaning dead babies off the danger room spears.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's very wise to figure out how to disarm enemies and construct a mass-pitting arena. It's that or spend all your time cleaning dead babies off the danger room spears.
I've learned how to disarm enemys and make a magma pit for disposing of goblins. So I think I can make an arena, I'll google how to set one up properly though.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can give a dwarf training weapons (like a wooden or silver axe) and have him hack away at a disarmed goblin. He will gain more experience because he will have to swing more often and because the fight will last longer.

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can give a dwarf training weapons (like a wooden or silver axe) and have him hack away at a disarmed goblin. He will gain more experience because he will have to swing more often and because the fight will last longer.
Thanks, I'll remember that.

I've captured a number of rather powerful goblin wrestlers in a few fortresses. Should these be thrown into a death pit or something? I'd imagine they could probably do some damage or possibly kill dwarfs even while stripped naked and thrown into an arena if I get unlucky.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

They could easily kill recruits, so yes, pit them against elite goblin wrestlers.