Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reclaiming a fort overrun with clowns  (Read 1113 times)

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
Reclaiming a fort overrun with clowns
« on: January 12, 2012, 02:33:05 pm »

This is the first time I've actually lost a fortress to anything, so I'm wondering if it'll even be possible for me to do this. I sent in an adventurer to try to clear it out, but he (despite his beard and iron armour) died in about five seconds.

Should I just start somewhere new, or is it worth the effort to try to reclaim?
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaiming a fort overrun with clowns
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:48:37 pm »

If you reclaimed the fort, quickly sealed the main entrance with walls before anything could get out at you, then over the next couple years built defenses capable of defeating the circus before opening the old fort into said defenses and using them to kill all the clowns, you could probably successfully reclaim it.

It's probably easier just to embark elsewhere, though. Once the depths are breached, the fort is probably pretty much finished anyway. There's not going to be any serious threats once you can survive that.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:51:15 pm »

There's no way I can seal the main entrance of the fort easily. When I sent in the adventurer, there was a clown standing on the bridge leading in there. Embarking elsewhere sounds like it'll be the easier approach.
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 03:38:58 pm »

You can probably clear it out with an adventurer, if you get really famous and hire about 50 meatshields. And savescum. ☼Masterwork☼ weapons are pretty much necessary to kill demons.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 03:49:06 pm »

Maybe, but there's also the world I've just generated using advanced world generation. I found a good embark site, too. Shallow / Deep metals, an aquifer at the foot of the mountains, a volcano in said mountains, Flux (supposedly. I've had bad luck with this), warm / hot temperature, deep soil at the foot of the mountains, and I arranged for there to be a number of layers above the magma sea so I can make a fort under the third cavern.

EDIT:

It even has a stream called Nationscopper the Lucid Hell, and the volcano is called The Furnaces of Organizing. ^^
No trees, though. I'm going to have to bring some logs for beds until I can get a tree farm going.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:54:46 pm by Elifre »
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 03:55:17 pm »

It'd be kind of cheap but if you really liked the fort you could always try modding the clowns into a material that instantly explodes or melts at room temperature or something, but that might cut down on future fun potential.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 03:59:18 pm »

Or increase yer embark points and what you can buy with them, and then reclaim with seven dwarves fully clad in steel... Or six, with one to hang back and relax, and thus survive unharmed. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.