Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: i need advice for playing human style  (Read 2269 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: i need advice for playing human style
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 10:16:19 pm »

sand + magma = tons of glass building materials, which make up for the fact that maps with sand tend to not have many trees. Also I've got to agree with most of what other people have said here, though it is possible to get by without a military through ample use of traps (especially if you utilize goblin grinders).
Because magma = Human style of play -_-
If you embark on a volcano it is. In my opinion "human style play" = using stuff on the surface + maybe a small amount of mining for resources, not to live in. Therefore if you embark on a place where magma reaches the surface then it is completely legal to use, similar to if there is a river then it is legal to use it for water/fish. As a result the cut-down of potential sites is enormous, but that doesn't mean it is impossible. On the other side you could always embark some place with clay if you preferred, as that also works as a source of infinite wall-building materials.
I don't remember many human civilisations using volcanoes to build cities.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 10:54:21 pm »

sand + magma = tons of glass building materials, which make up for the fact that maps with sand tend to not have many trees. Also I've got to agree with most of what other people have said here, though it is possible to get by without a military through ample use of traps (especially if you utilize goblin grinders).
If you embark on a volcano it is. In my opinion "human style play" = using stuff on the surface + maybe a small amount of mining for resources, not to live in. Therefore if you embark on a place where magma reaches the surface then it is completely legal to use, similar to if there is a river then it is legal to use it for water/fish. As a result the cut-down of potential sites is enormous, but that doesn't mean it is impossible. On the other side you could always embark some place with clay if you preferred, as that also works as a source of infinite wall-building materials.

i though magma was a classified as dworfy...
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 11:05:42 pm »

You need a moat, preferably one that goes around a huge area to give you enough trees to work with, and one or two entrances to allow caravans to get in. Here's mine for example with the corrosion mod: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10730-throwerflickered

As for seeds, aside from relying on elven and human caravans, remember that you can pick seeds from the shrubs around you.

After your defences are set up, you're mainly set.

thanks so here is the list of things i need

a wall
a moat
an militia
above ground plants
a quarry (cuz that's how humans do it apparently)
and ballistas

so is that about it

I'd start with a moat first. One other reason I made it so far out was if an ambush party came around with archers, I wouldn't have to rely on a wall to keep them from shooting at the humans. It's also the fastest way to get your defences up too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 11:34:21 pm »

I find the fact that walls stop invaders from peppering my few civvies to death is well worth the time spent building them.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 01:18:29 am »

Can you dig dirt without mining picks?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 02:57:39 am »

Can you dig dirt without mining picks?

No.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 03:24:36 am »

Not the direct magma, no. But over the course of history many civilizations ranging from the native Hawaiians to the Aztecs have taken advantage of the resources provided by volcanoes such as the sharp weapons created with obsidian and the wonderful fertilizer that can be made using some types of crushed volcanic rock. Also if you take a look at the roman civilization they actually used hardened volcanic ash (tuff) to make a very strong and lightweight concrete for a large portion of their walls and buildings. Heck, the roof of the Pantheon is made of cooled magma in the form of pumice concrete since it is extremely lightweight. So well technically no civilizations used the actual magma itself for building, once any magma flow had cooled enough to be handled it was fair game for all sorts of building materials and weapon creation. (So I guess if you really wanted to play "human" style you would be allowed to make obsidian but not glass, but I digress.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 05:27:11 am »

no civilizations used the actual magma itself for building

And they also didn't use it to power their forges >_>

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 06:24:56 am »

Set yourself up a bone industry, preferably one that doesn't rely on creatures that take ages to reach maximum size and that don't generate such a huge stack of bones that each bone related job at the craftdwarf's workshop counts as maximum clutter. Non-grazers/trainable animals obviously work best for this, as do animals with X3 and X4 value multipliers; this means embarking on a Savage biome is probably best. What does a bone industry allow you to do? Well set up legions and legions of marksdwarves!

With controlled catsplosions from 2 or 3 different species of animal you'll be able to produce enough bolts to keep a large force of marksdwarves geared up. Bones server as weapons and shaped armor and the leather goes for hoods/cloaks/trousers/mittens/shields. Slowly turn your best marksdwarves into hammerdwarves and equip them with the steel/bronze/iron you can import, acquire from invaders and dig up from your quarry. With good management, training and terrain set-up, your marksdwarves will be at virtually no risk and they'll easily be able to disable and kill very large groups of enemies.

Also, clay is your best friend - for your first time aim for an embark with fire clay because of Stoneware's higher value. Expensive statues will keep your population happy and you'll get a replenishable building material as well as good trading exports from the crafts.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 06:29:56 am »

Wouldn't the making of clay goods need fuel for glazing by the way?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 07:09:29 am »

Wouldn't the making of clay goods need fuel for glazing by the way?

Clay on its own can be used for construction and most goods, and you really only need to glaze clay to make booze-pots and/or higher quality goods
Pages: 1 2 [3]