Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves wont chop wood :/  (Read 1227 times)

mjmr89

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves wont chop wood :/
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:14:36 pm »

Hey guys, I've been playing DF on and off so I think I know my way around it fairly well, but all of a sudden my dwarves have stopped cutting wood I've designated.  I'm sure the entrance isnt blocked, and dwarves will go pick plants and get bees like they should.  I have many dwarves set to wood cutting to test this, and still nothing.  There are also two axes available, so I don't think its that they dont have anything to cut with.  Any idea whats going on here?

Thanks!

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves wont chop wood :/
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:02:52 pm »

Are the axes owned by dwarfs? They won't pick it up if someone owns it.

mjmr89

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 06:13:57 pm »

According to the stocks screen, it is not forbidden or anything...  I don't know how to see exactly where the axe is to see if a dwarf has it who doesnt have the wood cutting labor enabled or something.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 06:22:37 pm »

I believe it's k, Enter, v to see if someone owns it.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 06:42:28 pm »

Axes won't actually be owned by anybody; they're fort property.

Other possibilities... Are the axes accessible? Are the woodcutters holding the axes? Might you have, foolishly, decided to make your woodcutters into axe-wielding militiamen (which doesn't work as you'd expect)? Might you have other axe-wielding militiamen who may be holding them?

To find the answer to the first, second, and fourth questions, enter the stocks screen, scroll to your axes, hit TAB to expand the list to see individual items, then hit z to zoom to the axe. If it's being held by a dwarf, it will zoom to the dwarf but won't show their inventory.

The reason why woodcutters don't make good militiamen is that the woodcutter job assigns an invisible pseudo-uniform that happens to contain an axe. If they're assigned to the military and set to wield an axe, they'll seek a second, different axe for their military uniform from the one they use for civilian work. When they go on-duty, they'll drop their civilian axe and seek an axe that isn't claimed for anything, including other woodcutters' civilian axes and other soldiers' military axes, and similar will happen when they go off-duty. If all the axes are claimed as military axes, your woodcutters won't have any axes available for civilian work.

The short of this is that you need 2 axes for every woodcutter/axeman. 2 woodcutter/axemen and 2 axes means you don't have enough.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:47:06 pm »

Axes won't actually be owned by anybody; they're fort property.

Other possibilities... Are the axes accessible? Are the woodcutters holding the axes? Might you have, foolishly, decided to make your woodcutters into axe-wielding militiamen (which doesn't work as you'd expect)? Might you have other axe-wielding militiamen who may be holding them?

To find the answer to the first, second, and fourth questions, enter the stocks screen, scroll to your axes, hit TAB to expand the list to see individual items, then hit z to zoom to the axe. If it's being held by a dwarf, it will zoom to the dwarf but won't show their inventory.

The reason why woodcutters don't make good militiamen is that the woodcutter job assigns an invisible pseudo-uniform that happens to contain an axe. If they're assigned to the military and set to wield an axe, they'll seek a second, different axe for their military uniform from the one they use for civilian work. When they go on-duty, they'll drop their civilian axe and seek an axe that isn't claimed for anything, including other woodcutters' civilian axes and other soldiers' military axes, and similar will happen when they go off-duty. If all the axes are claimed as military axes, your woodcutters won't have any axes available for civilian work.

The short of this is that you need 2 axes for every woodcutter/axeman. 2 woodcutter/axemen and 2 axes means you don't have enough.

well is your wood cutter designated to haul stuff.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 11:30:47 pm »

Training axes cut down trees ~o.o~