Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Draining underground water  (Read 799 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Draining underground water
« on: January 07, 2012, 03:05:02 pm »

I've got some plumbing under a whole bunch of rooms I've dug out, and I'll be bringing the water from a brook on the surface. My question is how do I drain the water in the sewers I've built if I ever need access to it later? If I just shut off the flow from the brook will the water in the sewers eventually evaporate? Or is there a better/faster way to do that?

Thanks for any advice
Feeling down? Click Here!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Draining underground water
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 03:17:11 pm »

Water underground will only evaporate if it's at 1/7 depth, though an area with at least 1 tile at 1/7 depth and no tiles with more than 2/7 will eventually dry out on its own. However, this can take a very long time.

If you think you'll want to empty your plumbing, it's wise to build in a way to drain it. Make a way to block it off from its source, and someplace for it to drain into, like a very large chamber that it can be allowed to spread and evaporate into (whose surface area should be at least as large as the total volume of the plumbing system itself, probably half that much again), an opening into the caverns, a way to pump it back up into the brook, or a way off the map edge. Note that if you smooth the rock on the edge of the map, you can then carve fortifications into it, and any fluids can flow off the map edge and will vanish forever through them (water flows off more readily than magma in my experience).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 03:25:05 pm »

Ah, so I can just dig a tunnel to the edge of the map, carve fortifications into the edge tile and that'll drain the water when I need to?
Feeling down? Click Here!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 03:34:42 pm »

I'd say to put a lever-controlled floodgate in front of the fortifications, that way you can control when the sewers drain.