Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves can't destroy doors, can they?  (Read 1135 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves can't destroy doors, can they?
« on: January 07, 2012, 09:03:14 pm »

If a dwarf starts throwing a tantrum, or goes berserk, can they destroy a rock door that is keeping them captive?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Dwarves can't destroy doors, can they?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:47:35 pm »

Berserk? No.

Tantrum? Yes.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:51:49 pm »

Any kind of door? Even if it's metal?

And if so, what can substitute for a door that can't be destroyed by an upset dwarf?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:54:51 pm »

Bridges will stop everything IIRC. Other than that just about anything can be toppled by a tantruming dwarf.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 10:05:47 pm »

Hm, guess the only solution to that would be an axe to the head then.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 10:08:53 pm »

One throwing a tantrum can mellow down a bit given enough time.
Berzerk Dwarves will permanently attempt to kill anything it sees.
Also, try to avoid Loyality Cascades.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 10:50:03 pm »

By far the best way of dealing with dwarves on the verge of tantruming is the Dwarven Therapy Centre.
-Very high quality furniture. Beds, statues, whatever. Make sure there's seats as well and a table. Give them as much drink as you can spare. Get the best engravers in.
-Assign the bed to them. Lock a lever operated floodgate behind them. A door works too- if they do end up berserking the higher quality the door the slower it will be destroyed, and artifact doors are never destroyed.
-Once they are in this room, periodically drop more food/drink as needed through a garbage zone-to-stockpile channel.
-Eventually their mood will stabilise as they will have nothing to do but admire their surroundings.

This can be used for multiple dwarves at once, but the more dwarves in there, the more chance of injury there is.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 01:27:59 am »

Err, well, that's really good advice, but I'm just building a huge-arse prison to house all unlucky immigrants, and so I thought I can just keep them locked in with forbidden doors. I guess whenever one starts to tantrum and destroys the door I'll send an executioner in to deal with him.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 01:47:11 am »

Berserk Dorfs become enemies of your civ, so no fears of loyalty cascades should be had by attacking them.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 02:08:44 am »

By far the best way of dealing with dwarves on the verge of tantruming is the Dwarven Therapy Centre.
-Very high quality furniture. Beds, statues, whatever. Make sure there's seats as well and a table. Give them as much drink as you can spare. Get the best engravers in.
-Assign the bed to them. Lock a lever operated floodgate behind them. A door works too- if they do end up berserking the higher quality the door the slower it will be destroyed, and artifact doors are never destroyed.
-Once they are in this room, periodically drop more food/drink as needed through a garbage zone-to-stockpile channel.
-Eventually their mood will stabilise as they will have nothing to do but admire their surroundings.

That's rather clever. One thing, with point two, hatches and retracting bridges are your friend. Hatches are indestructible from below so if you let the dwarf in through the ceiling, and lock the hatch, he shouldn't be able to break out. Retracting bridges are basically indestructible and never squash things.

Also, a lever is a very good way to lure a dwarf into a room. Profile the lever to be operated by that dwarf, and set to pull on repeat.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 05:59:04 am »

tantruming dwarves can also be put in jail.  Make a nice jail.