Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to mod starving kobolds?  (Read 620 times)

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to mod starving kobolds?
« on: January 08, 2012, 12:39:44 pm »

Do Kobolds still all starve to death during worldgen in the most recent version?  I'm not much of a modder, I heard you can add farming to them, or the ability to not have to eat or drink to increase their survivability, I found their entry in "Creature_Standard" but I am not sure how to go about "fixing" them from here.  Any direction would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to mod starving kobolds?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 01:03:02 pm »

Kobolds are supposed to steal food and drink for themselves, but either don't steal enough or don't steal it at all. As such, they quickly starve.

The usual change is to simply add [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK] to their creature entry. You've found that, so just add those two tokens anywhere after the [CREATURE:KOBOLD] line. They will no longer need to eat or drink.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 01:06:09 pm »

Thank you!  Do they need to be formatted any certain way?  Like do they need to be on separate lines?

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:12:19 pm »

Thank you!  Do they need to be formatted any certain way?  Like do they need to be on separate lines?

Yes.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 01:42:11 pm »

No. As long as they're there, they'll work. The brackets are what define a tag; you could put a whole creature entry on a single line if you wanted to and it would work fine.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:55:33 pm »

Yes.

Nonsense. [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] tags occur "naturally" on the same line. Look at the goblin entry under creature_standard.txt for a creature that naturally doesn't need to eat or drink.

Dwarf Fortress does not seem particularly picky about the order tags occur in. For example, adding both [DRAGONFIREBREATH] and [FIREIMMUNESUPER] to cats has the same effect regardless of where the tags are placed - unless you put it in a caste definition.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 02:35:40 pm »

Thanks for all the tips.  I've noticed where people have made some pretty extreme adjustments and now I can see where that would be pretty easy (although possibly resulting in FUN) to do as long as you know all the commands for doing so.  I don't want to do any of that at this point, I just want to put a "bandaid" on kobolds for the time being.  :D  I'm sure my dwarves will live to regret it, but we'll see.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 03:14:56 pm »

As far as I can tell, Dwarf Fortress ignores anything in the raw files that isn't part of a tag.  This include newline, space, and tab characters.  So it doesn't matter if you put them on the same line or not.  You could have the entire creature definition on one line if you really wanted to, DF doesn't care.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 03:31:56 pm »

is long as it is not part of a case you can put it any where
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 03:26:57 am »

You'll be sorry when the mighty kobolds, free of their natural predator (otherwise known as the burden of providing for themselves) build a powerful civilation and wipe out everyone else.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 05:30:41 am »

You'll be sorry when the mighty kobolds, free of their natural predator (otherwise known as the burden of providing for themselves) build a powerful civilation and wipe out everyone else.

They're still pretty fragile :d