Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Close window on Space instead of Esc -- Faster and More Fun and I Know How  (Read 658 times)

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego

Reaching for Esc seemed natural after I played 0.31.25 for a while. But my RAM caught fire (don't blame the game) and I had to use a 500mhz Windows XP box with 96M of ram for a week or two which I was sure I couldn't play DF on but actually it ran at about the speed it does with 100 dwarves on my real box, when I had 7, in other words, it would be playable at first at least. But I couldn't play 0.31.25 because I didn't have SP2 or greater (I don't think I had SP1) so I played 40d. In 40d, the spacebar closes windows, instead of Esc! I got used to this fast and when I got more RAM for my real PC and could play 0.31.25 again, I missed it and didn't want to hit Esc.

So I bound the Exit Screen or whatever it's called, key to Space and deleted to binding to Esc. This gave me two problems:

a) Queuing a job at the manager, hitting 'space' between words exited the screen. Solution: Hitting shift-space still enters a space and doesn't trigger the binding. It's only a little annoying going "wooden [shift-space] chair" but who cares really. Even if you could only enter one word you could use the arrow keys to choose the one you meant but hitting shift-space instead obviates the issue
b) In squad view, 'space' is used to pause and unpause the game like when you're in no view. With Space bound to exit screen/close window, space can only be used to exit the squad screen, but then you can pause or unpause by hitting space again, and just return to the squad screen by hitting 's' again. Unless you have some real need to quickly pause/unpause with the squad dialog -open- ...

I recommend changing your keybinding to close windows or exit screens from Esc to Space for more streamlined gameplay

From the brain of flamoot.
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you thank you thank you! I nickname my dwarves in DT, and they lose those names if they make a notable kill. So all my dwarves would revert to their old names all the time, and nicknaming them in-game was a pain because of the space issue.

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego

shift-space it son
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

I re-bound Escape to Alt-Space. I type text normally and can still escape with a flick of the thumb. It takes a little more precision, but the Escape key proper is awkwardly placed.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

is it me or I am the only person liking the Esc key? I type with my hands clawing over the numeric / character keys and to pres Esc I open my palm, swing it a bit to the left, feel the Esc and the F1 key with my 4th and 3rd finger respectively and press Esc without having to look up. The location of the Alt key is very hard to reach with my thumb.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

is it me or I am the only person liking the Esc key? I type with my hands clawing over the numeric / character keys and to pres Esc I open my palm, swing it a bit to the left, feel the Esc and the F1 key with my 4th and 3rd finger respectively and press Esc without having to look up. The location of the Alt key is very hard to reach with my thumb.
I'm for the escape key as well. Since my mac laptop keys are hardly raised from the surface at all I simply slide my hand up and to the right until I run out of keys and I can know that that one is always the escape key. Combine that with my normal hand position of resting my left hand on the a,w,e,f keys while I'm not typing (dang you Heroes of Newerth!) and it's much easier to use the esc key then any type of shift+space.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:35:12 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.