Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't smelt stuff I should be able to  (Read 550 times)

daneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't smelt stuff I should be able to
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:41:18 am »

So I have these neat magma forges but noticed I couldn't smelt nickel silver for some reason I can't fathom anymore than why my mayor likes it. Just looks red like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I had the required materials, none are forbidden and all are accessible to the smelter area.

Also can't make pig iron and other things I should be able to, but I can smelt sphalerite, brass, sterling silver and billon.

Both were however possible to make through the manager, but I don't normally use that. I was able to make pig iron just fine before on the smelters.

Is this some kind of known bug?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't smelt stuff I should be able to
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:57:59 pm »

It is a known bug. For unknown reasons, sometimes smelters (and other workshops with custom jobs) won't recognize materials that are in a stockpile or that aren't in a stockpile, sometimes both. Usually if you give the orders through the manager it starts recognizing it again, but if that fails, deconstructing and rebuilding the smelter seems to fix it every time. The actual distance between the material and the workshop seems to matter; closer means they're more likely to notice each other, but sometimes even being directly on top of each other doesn't help.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

daneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 11:42:12 pm »

I've also noticed my butchers have stopped automatically butchering animal corpses in my refuse stockpile. Same thing then probably... rebuilding the workshops didn't seem to help.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 01:02:07 am »

I've also noticed my butchers have stopped automatically butchering animal corpses in my refuse stockpile. Same thing then probably... rebuilding the workshops didn't seem to help.
Actually this is a different problem. Currently there is a bug where if a tame animal dies by anything other than being butchered or being killed by your military (this includes old age and invaders), then their corpse is unable to be butchered. Hopefully this is fixed in the next release, but for the moment there is a strong chance that any fort you have will end up with at least one unbutcherable domestic animal corpse.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

daneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:24:16 am »

No, I know that one. I have corpses like that which can't be butchered, but I also have other corpses that can be butchered as long as I add the job manually, but it's not added automatically.

Jaredus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 04:22:15 pm »

Have you messed with the workshop orders at all? When I turned off auto-butchering for a bit, then turned it back on later, it still wouldn't do anything