Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well... this is good a place for it as any. Toady one, Threetoe, have you ever  (Read 2644 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

EDIT: read Faq, but i'll leave the post here anyway.

considered collaborating with other projects? As i have said elsewhere, this is wild, blind-eyed, utterly mad and gibbering hope, and I'm not going to pretend i know anything about the matter, and how your particular skills would apply to other projects, but I'll say this. I look at dwarf fortress, and i look at adventure mode. I look at a new indie project called Gnoblins, heard of through this:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/25/underground-overlord-gnoblins/. I think of the similarites; randomly/procedurally generated worlds or dungeons, rogue-like elements, rts elements, on the one hand managing dwarves, and on the other gnoblins (http://www.gnoblins.net/?p=231). I think about Gnoblins being first-person. I look back at the sheer amount of content, depth, and history in dwarf fortress and adventure mode. I think about combining the two. Their is now a bloodsplattered mess where my brain used to be.

This is most likely the result of a fey mood gone wrong, but i really, really want to see what happens next. And you never know if you don't try do you? :P. I'm also making a thread on this on the Gnoblins forums and leaving it to simmer, and perhaps, even boil over. There shall be a link to here, and vice versa (EDIT: link http://www.gnoblins.net/?page_id=131&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=14#postid-62). Now you wonderful Dwarfs who so love !!SCIENCE!! and !FUN!, i can only imagine what would happen if these wise developers gave you these tools to play around with. :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:08:46 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another one of these threads? Someone needs to dig up and sticky that FAQ already...

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Ah. Got ya ;). Thanks for the link, it does need to be put somewhere obvious on the site to save all our time. I'm guessing it precludes any collaborations on new projects, but to be honest it's not so much adding to dwarf fortress I'm interested in, it's having toady one and his people (in so far as there are other people) working with other talented and promising teams. Nevertheless, i respect Toady's decision, and in retrospect he's right considering the labyrinthine nature of the code after all these years and the amount of time the games development likely takes. Oh well, I'll enjoy the games i have and stop demanding the impossible now. :L
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:22:15 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

I'll admit, I've never seen a game with a developer dedicated enough to plan in case of murder by the community. :)
Reading a thinner book

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I'll admit, I've never seen a game with a developer dedicated enough to plan in case of murder by the community. :)

Toady leaves nothing to RNG :P

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

Actually, this is interesting because its not necessarily asking whether Toady is willing to collaborate with others on Dwarf Fortress, but whether he is willing to take on an additional project which he will be a part of.

considered collaborating with other projects?

Now Toady has worked on Dwarf Fortress in conjunction with other jobs in the past, but he now works on Dwarf Fortress full-time. My prediction is this possibility is entirely a time and quality-of-life thing, as he has mentioned before.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should probably change the title... because I wouldn't respond to any questions from someone who provides a subject which is empty and irrelevant to the content.  If everyone left their subjects as empty and irrelevant the forums would be hell.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just hope he doesn't pull a Robert Jordan or Frank Herbert.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another one of these threads? Someone needs to dig up and sticky that FAQ already...

Hmm, nice FAQ, should probably be sticky'd, but I don't see how any of those entries address the OP's question.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile

The ones that says this is Toady's masterpiece and don't want other people to touch it gives a good idea that Toady is not likely to work in someone else's project.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?