Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ghost Hydra  (Read 1120 times)

NarcissusIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ghost Hydra
« on: January 22, 2012, 03:33:43 pm »

While playing adventure mode, my scimitar/morningstar/flail-wielding swordsman/maceman hybrid was sent to kill a pesky hydra. After the obligatory 3-day hike, my 20ish man warband arrived at the hydra's lair. Charging in, maces and sword flailing wildly, the hydra glared at me and telepathically shared his kill list with me, and I noticed that his epithet read "skeletal hydra". Never seen one of those before. So I and one of my innumerable crippled axemen started beating the piss out of him. I smacked it in the neck, and he hacked it in the leg. I then get this message:
The skeletal hydra disappears
I just stared for a few seconds. Never before had I met an incorporeal hydra. I didn't kill it, there's no body, and my quest still reads "kill hydra mchydraface". I explored the rest of his lair, found some coins and pants, but no hydra. So I've been searching around and waiting, hoping he'll respawn or something, but no dice. I think I scared an undead hydra into another dimension.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Hydra
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:37:19 pm »

Nope, skelies go away when they get injured sufficantly. Undead megabeasts is something I have not seen before, so looks like them not being registered as your kill when they go away is a bug. So yeah, its go for good, because it is "dead" now. Better luck on your next quest.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

NarcissusIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:44:17 pm »

All I did was scratch him a little. Pussiest hydra ever.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 03:47:34 pm »

Nah, its something to do with body structure. Reason why Skelks are bloody deadly. When you hit the leg, it probably was going to break it. Hence, it dies. Again. Undead are weak.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

NarcissusIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:50:23 pm »

So now I have to edit my savegame or something so I don't get stuck on this quest forever.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 05:42:39 pm »

Skellies and Zombies all have a HP based system, because currently they're practically indestructible otherwise.

Does your Quest Log say report the death of whatever?

Also, I've had a quest to kill a zombie crundle.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 06:20:02 pm »

I may be wrong, but during fort mode, the only times soldiers against undead have gotten kill records of 'em were in cases where they chop off the head or cleave the target in two.

Good luck trying to cleave that hydra in two, because I figure chopping off even one of its heads will make it blink out of existence.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 06:21:51 pm »

Good luck trying to cleave that hydra in two, because I figure chopping off even one of its heads will make it blink out of existence.

Urist McHelsing: SHOOT THE ZOMBIE IN THE HEAD WITH THE SILVER BOLT!!!

Urist McSoapmaker: Which head? -_-

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:54:18 pm »

Here's a tip for you if you want to kill it

STAND UP ON THE HYDRA'S BACK!