Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fake entrance planning  (Read 1779 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Fake entrance planning
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 04:06:22 pm »

Once I made a fake entrance, trapped in many ways, guarded by a strong military. Two drawbridges over gaping chasms, two watchtowers with gold rims and skull totems, puppy landmines, magma showers, cave-in, freeze and dodge traps. Three dedicated control mechanics with automatically controlled eat/drink/sleep cycles. An enemy-triggered automatic lockdown system. A tree-lined avenue for elvish merchants, including a deployable burning artifact.

I never finished digging my real entrance.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 04:53:53 pm »

The "long winding corridor of traps" was my go-to scheme for a while, but it never worked. This is because goblin hordes would start to come in, a few would get trapped, and then they'd just stop, and sit there for months on end. Eventually I gave up and moved on to other strategies. I'm still not very happy with my front gates at this point.

I had a lot of success with my "Corridor of Spikey Death". It's a long corridor, floored with weapon traps each containing ten upright spikes, which are all linked to a fluid-logic repeater. Every few seconds, all of the spikes retract and then spring out again. Even though they're just made of glass, they still pasturize anything attempting to path through the corridor... and it avoids the problem of Gobbos stopping when their leader hits a trap, since there isn't any safe place for them to stop.
Never pet a burning dog.

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 06:02:47 pm »

Meh. You could just use the F**k the world approach:
1. Fill a large resevoir with magma.
2. Wait for invaders.
3. Lock down fortress.
4. Unleash magma.
5. F**k the world.
6. Rinse and repeat.

You mean the Boatmurdered approach right. :p
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 07:12:40 pm »

Basically yes. Except BETTER.
Since we now have the advantage of:
Candy floodgates, since we are no longer in danger of auto-abandon.
Multiple z-levels.
Generally improved DF since the days of Boatmurdered, Armok bless its name, so, this approach can be improved any which way you please.
Pages: 1 [2]