Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: if it's a mood, and its in the metal shop, and it's candy...  (Read 5056 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: if it's a mood, and its in the metal shop, and it's candy...
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2012, 12:16:24 am »

Then on 12 Opal 252 my weaponsmith withdraws from society ... and makes Ultertegir (Commonbreeds) the copper menacing spike ... studded with copper.  Of course, I now see why folks suggest selling trap components.  The damn thing is worth 18,240 Urists!  The good is that he's now near legendary (he had very low skill, but was the best I'd found so far of my 55 dwarves), the bad is that I don't use traps but armed dwarves as defense.

Put it into a danger room  :P
I don't use danger rooms either.  I like the challenge of "normal" training. ;)  I may make an exception and set up a trap near the entrance using it, however ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 12:18:07 am »

For some reason the amount of people using danger rooms saddens me. Why? I have no idea, I don't even mind ;d

Well, off to go watch the remake of The Thing

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 01:47:32 am »

A secretive guy who makes a trap component will become a legendary weaponsmith, meaning not just a ton of masterwork trap comps, but a ton of masterwork weapons and bolts too. So he's not as useless as you think he is.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 07:27:40 am »

How good are candy crossbows when actually used to fire bolts?  I had one cranked out in a mood, and I'm not sure if it will be any good.  I know it will be crap if the dorf forgets ammo like an idiot and tries to beat monsters into pulp with it, but I'm trying to keep my marksdwarves behind fortifications and shooting at the enemies.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 07:28:46 am »

Then either lock them there or use military screen to give 'em ammo.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 07:54:08 am »

The material of a crossbow doesn't matter, only thequality, when it comes to shooting. A candy crossbow is always worse than a ☼copper crossbow☼.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 08:11:09 am »

It depends. Candy crossbow when hitting someone with it is bad, copper crossbow isnt.
Quality may matter, but so does skill.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 09:52:28 am »

It depends. Candy crossbow when hitting someone with it is bad, copper crossbow isnt.
Quality may matter, but so does skill.

Skill level determines accuracy of the bolt on hitting and where it hits, speed of reload and fire etc..now give a legendary a generic no quality crossbow and the shots will go wild more often than not. I have observed this myself, legendary marksdorfs with poor quality bows are a waste of legendary marksdorfs. And bolts.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 10:40:00 am »

How good are candy crossbows when actually used to fire bolts?  I had one cranked out in a mood, and I'm not sure if it will be any good.  I know it will be crap if the dorf forgets ammo like an idiot and tries to beat monsters into pulp with it, but I'm trying to keep my marksdwarves behind fortifications and shooting at the enemies.

For firing, the quality is what matters, not the material, so an artifact crossbow regardless of material should be good.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]