Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So whats the deal with the well water around here?  (Read 884 times)

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So whats the deal with the well water around here?
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:05:27 am »

I mean seriously, I go through the trouble of an underground tunnel that brings them stream water, even in the winter because underground water doesn't freeze... My first goblin siege ends after 3 goblins smash to death in my 3x3 drop bridge and even though I have enough booze stored in a storage area when I let my people go because the goblins are in full retreat, only suffered a slight fracture, and instead of going to the nice clean well they slurp up the water from the pond next to my pasture... Am I missing something here? Sorry if I sound annoyed... But I mean comeon, frogs swim in there and just one block away many many animals pee there...

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So whats the deal with the well water around here?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:11:54 am »

Go into the orders menu and make it so they can't drink wherever they like.
Are you sure they can reach the water? Dwarves won't drink from water unless they have to, and it gives them bad thoughts.

You may want to send them all back inside. You wouldn't want them to have any fun out there, would you?
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:16:19 am »

Make sure the well water isn't saline?
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 12:19:57 am »

Never did care much for wells; I just designate the underground site as a water source. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll smooth over all the stone before I route the water through. Maybe put some mist pumps to create a bathhouse kind of feel...

Err, what was I... nevermind, are your sure there's no obstructions, locked doors, burrows? Maybe it's just a shorter path. Perhaps too many people wanted to use it at once and the rest spilled over to the next available source.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 12:24:35 am »

Its next to the hospital... which is a little out of the way I guess, still much closer then the pee water :P. Now I'm hoping someone doesn't take Urst McFracturedLeg to his bed and not the hospital... I had a goblin snatcher stab my animal trainer in the upper leg and she was unable to walk, so I started my hospital... Doctors were playing cards, drinking pee water, and then hauling her corpse to the refuse pile because nobody got her water... Or a doctor...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 12:28:10 am »

First, you probably don't have enough booze.  Each barrel of booze can hold multiple units of booze, and only one dwarf can drink from a barrel at a time.  If your total quantity of booze is less than about ten times your number of dwarves, then you can run into a situation where all the barrels are occupied at once.  In that case, any dwarves who get thirsty won't just wait, they'll go and drink water again.

Only one dwarf can drink from a well at a time, and they take a long time to do so, so if your wells are all occupied then any more dwarves who get thirsty will drink from ponds or whatever other water source is around.

Make sure the well water isn't saline?

Doesn't matter if it is.  Dwarves will always drink water from a well, even if the well is built over salt water.  They just won't drink salt water directly from a water source zone without using a well.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:15:05 am »

Yeah, if you have wounded, you need at least one guy designated solely as Urist McNursemaid.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 11:28:34 am »

Pumps fix everything.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.