Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Becoming a necromancer  (Read 16717 times)

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming a necromancer
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 02:08:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure the tomb-slabs don't teach you necromancy, those ones seem to be there as a tribute to the owner of the tomb.

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 08:47:12 am »

You need either the artifact slab (listed in artifacts in legend mode) or one of the artifact books that concern the secrets of life and death. Both are normally found in the necromancer towers, which are purple I's on the world map. If you hunt around on historical maps in legends mode (or maybe the embark map for fortress mode) you can track them down, then when you start an adventurer, try to start in a civ nearest to one of those towers. I've genned a few large worlds in 34.01/34.02 and they have had between 1 and 3 necromancer towers in them by about year 250. So I guess if you are unlucky there may only be one in your whole world.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 09:54:16 am »

If you're going into legends mode, hit "p" to export map info - you'll get a nice overview map of the full world, with necromancer towers marked. That's what I usually do, and then since I'm playing humans this version (look at all the loot ^_^!), I generally pick a civ situated somewhat nearby.

As for quantities: I've genned 7 medium worlds, and I'd estimate that you get around 3 towers on average. The lowest I've seen is 1 per world, and the highest is around 5 or 6, I think. That's on a 250 year history, although I think necromancer towers only happen at year 1.

Pawel1997PL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 09:56:45 am »

does reading a slab in a tomb work too?
NO

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2]