Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf list screen  (Read 1826 times)

Domitian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf list screen
« on: January 05, 2012, 12:11:46 pm »

I've been enjoying DF for about two weeks now but one important feature seems to be missing: a "View Dwarfs" screen. Therapist does a good job of listing my dwarfs when i want to change some skills, but there are many times when i need to view a list of my dwarfs in game or track down an individual dwarf without searching the map for him. Most recently i ran into this frustration when trying to set up my military and wanting to view each Dwarf's relationships. Currently (unless i'm missing something) this requires tracking down each dwarf and viewing them ... a tedious task with just over 50 dwarfs ... let alone a capped out fortress.

My suggestion is just a simple list screen with all of your dwarfs (listed similar to the choose noble screen) and perhaps the job they are currently doing (although i could live without this). Scrolling over each dwarf would give all the typical options of view dwarf, change job, zoom to dwarf, etc.

I hope this would be easily implemented as all of the features required for the list already exist in-game, they are just not found in an easily accessed location.

Thanks, and additional suggestions/suggestion modifications welome.

-Dom

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf list screen
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:13:37 pm »

Press 'u'.
I'ts not perfect but it seems like you don't know of it's existence.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:13:54 pm »

The [u]nit list does everything you seem to be asking for.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 01:51:32 pm »

I'd REALLY like to see the u list be searchable. Actually, Dwarf Therapist already does basically what I want there, but having the add to squad list in the military be searchable (and the noble selection list) would make the game considerably more enjoyable for me.

Domitian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 02:40:32 pm »

Thanks for pointing out "u". Not sure how i missed that and it does a pretty good job of what i am looking for. I was dumbfounded that it didn't exist (which, of course it did).

Sorry for the silly suggestion then. I posted on the questions forum last night and didnt get any answers that pointed out "u" so i thought it must not exist.

Thanks again.

Domitian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 02:42:02 pm »

I'd REALLY like to see the u list be searchable. Actually, Dwarf Therapist already does basically what I want there, but having the add to squad list in the military be searchable (and the noble selection list) would make the game considerably more enjoyable for me.

Ya, i'm pretty surprised that Dwarf Therapist doesnt have a screen for the other attributes as well (str, agi, disease resist, etc) or relationships. You'd think that would fit nicely into such a program.

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 06:49:18 am »

Ya, i'm pretty surprised that Dwarf Therapist doesnt have a screen for the other attributes as well (str, agi, disease resist, etc) or relationships. You'd think that would fit nicely into such a program.

You might want to try [link=http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.msg2722011#msg2722011]Shishimaru's Dwarf Therapist Clone[/link]. It has that. Also it has an Animal screen and supports (modded) Dwarf Castes.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 01:18:33 pm »

I think so, relationships in particular would fit with the therapist theme.  I'd like it to have the ability to add dwarves to military squads.