Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: theories on cave moss with no cavern breach?  (Read 1479 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
theories on cave moss with no cavern breach?
« on: December 26, 2011, 01:31:56 am »

anyone have any idea why there might be cave moss growing in my fort LITERALLY 5 minutes after embark. I haven't even dug down a single z lvl yet, let alone breached the caverns, yet there it grows.

theories?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:47:53 am by Poindexterity »
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Magmodeus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: theories?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 01:37:18 am »

Are there any caves near by? They're a mound of stone/dirt that lead to the caverns.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 01:38:34 am »

There's a bug where, occasionally, you'll embark with a fort and cavern floor coverings will grow even though caverns have not been breached.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 01:41:33 am »

I've had this happen before, and I never figured out why. Is this the first embark for your worldgen? Might you have made another fort nearby? Is there a cave in the region?

Also, not to be nit-picky, but please provide more details about your map and worldgen, and also make your title more descriptive of your confuddlement.  Like: "cave moss growing before breaching cavern."

Just a little etiquette thing.

It will make it easier for other people with the same problem to find, and make people more compelled to click and post if they know of this bug. I'm assuming its a bug, though it may be a feature.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 01:47:25 am »

I've had this happen before, and I never figured out why. Is this the first embark for your worldgen? Might you have made another fort nearby? Is there a cave in the region?

Also, not to be nit-picky, but please provide more details about your map and worldgen, and also make your title more descriptive of your confuddlement.  Like: "cave moss growing before breaching cavern."

Just a little etiquette thing.

It will make it easier for other people with the same problem to find, and make people more compelled to click and post if they know of this bug. I'm assuming its a bug, though it may be a feature.
ok, there's no mods, save DT, its about half mountain and half desert, no entrances to the caves above ground, plenty of caves below, not my first embark in this world. not nearby though.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
Re: theories on cave moss with no cavern breach?
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 03:46:11 am »

do you have a vlocano? because some times the volcano will connect to a magma pipe which opens into the caverns. that might give cave plant.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 06:02:32 am »

I got them once after I used dfreveal to check to make sure I had the clay I wanted to experiment with. I guess the game thought I'd found the caverns when the cheat made it possible to look at them.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 09:49:15 am »

DF reveal, collapsing cave sections down a volcano will reveal caverns and spoilertanium, caves, funny little downward slopes that count as caverns despite being a 1 tile downwards slope etc...they all have this quirk. OMG UNDERGROUND SPORE SPORE SPORE is more or less the games reading of it
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 02:38:09 pm »

I'm guessing the volcano gives just enough of a view to the cavern systems that the game treats it as "spores have a way to get there SPORE SPORE SPORE!" (to quote Wannazzaki ;) ).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"