Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with Trade Depots  (Read 1212 times)

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with Trade Depots
« on: December 25, 2011, 09:20:26 am »

So I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to Dwarf Fortress, been playing it on and off for about two years now (I play until I get extremely frustrated because I don't know how to do something then come back to the game later and be able to do it), however, this problem really baffles me:

Here I am watching my dwarves run around, I got my armorer possessed to make a pig iron shield, and finally found the sedimentary layer area on my map and explioting it; everything is going great until I realize I am running out of booze and food... I know, huge problem right? Wrong! An Elven caravan has arrived so I might be able to trade for some food.

About a month goes by with me attempting to break up enough parties so my butcher would decide to kill a reindeer so my possessed dwarf gets some bones and I realize that I haven't seen the message that the elves are unloading their goods so I look back for the announcement about the caravan, find the source (the caravan), and realize it is on the edge of the map... Where it has been the entire time (there is a small stream separating the area they came from and my fortress which I quickly made a bridge over just in case they were afraid of water).

A very important note is that the depot was used before by the dwarf caravan to trade earlier with no issues.

I used the Shift+D command to see if there was any problems with pathing... I got this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I really need help because I don't know if I can survive without hacking in a couple of those tasty tasty badgers and eating petting them. I also really do not want to start again so soon as this is the first map I felt I have a really good thing going. Please help me.

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Trade Depots
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 09:39:50 am »

It seems the depot inaccessability screen is considering wagons although they are not currently in the game. So you would need a three tile wide path to your trade depot to get an accessible route. I'm not sure if this would also mean that the depot cannot be accessed by caravans without wagons, as I still build bigger paths to the depot. Caravans can however leave your fortress by using stairs and smaller paths.
Did you change anything since the last caravan arrived?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 09:53:42 am »

Nothing without the amphibious tag paths through rivers, it was indeed the stream blocking them. Elves and Dwarves won't necessarilly come from the same spot on the map, it's very likely that the dwarves entered from one side while the elves entered from another, only the dwarves could get to the trade depot because they weren't being blocked by the stream. As far as I know Shift-D doesn't do much other than look pretty since caravan's don't currently haul wagons.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 11:25:07 am »

Ok so it must of been that I caught it too late and they went home before the bridge was completed :/ Those darn parties :P Thanks for the help, I'll post back confirmation if I have the same problem later once the bridge is finished.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 12:24:02 pm »

The only water a caravan (or migrants) will cross without the need of a bridge is a brook.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 03:28:59 pm »

It seems the depot inaccessability screen is considering wagons although they are not currently in the game. So you would need a three tile wide path to your trade depot to get an accessible route. I'm not sure if this would also mean that the depot cannot be accessed by caravans without wagons, as I still build bigger paths to the depot. Caravans can however leave your fortress by using stairs and smaller paths.
Did you change anything since the last caravan arrived?

You need a 3 tile wide path from your depot to the edge of the map for a caravan to be able to reach your depot. Norm mechants will make it across easily though. Also, the (D)epot accessible screen will only show one green tile per path available - that covers all the 3 tiles it'll need to get to the depot.
Caravans can use ramps, but not stairs.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 09:49:30 pm »

Thank you all for all your help, soon I will be fighting my first megabeast... 60 population currently... I think I should of started my military earlier...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 08:32:34 am »

Thank you all for all your help, soon I will be fighting my first megabeast... 60 population currently... I think I should of started my military earlier...

It'll prolly be an unarmed minatour or cyclops :P

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 10:09:20 am »

My first megabeasts tend to be either FBs or Rocs/Thunderbirds/Deep Crows. Weird really
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 02:35:05 pm »

If you are lucky that unarmed minotaur or cyclops will steal an item from one of your dwarves and use it as a weapon.  My favorite is still the troll that beat a dwarf to death with his own sock ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"