Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't build on top of floors?  (Read 10092 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't build on top of floors?
« on: December 31, 2011, 08:17:57 pm »

I wanted to build a tower, so I built some walls, built a ramp to them, then built floors on the level above, but now when I try to build more walls or even just stairs it says "construction present" in red.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't build on top of floors?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:22:01 pm »

You can't build walls on top of constructed floors if that's what you mean.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 08:28:58 pm »

So then, how do I build above ground? several levels above ground, actually?

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:38:55 pm »

Don't build a floor where you want a wall to be placed.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 09:01:42 pm »

But then what will my dwarves stand on?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:03:36 pm »

But then what will my dwarves stand on?

You need to plan how you build above ground forts. That's why I like them. Constructed walls leave a floor above them that can be built on, walls can be built next to constructed floors/stairs, and you can use ramps as well. Just make sure everything's supported...

Also, bridges.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 09:22:50 pm »

Can you elaborate a bit, or point me to a guide? I'm having trouble grasping how I'm going to build a vertical structure with multiple floors using only walls, ramps, and some bridges?  ???

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 09:28:02 pm »

Unless you used scaffholding, that would take FAR TOO LONG. Also, I wouldn't recommend bridges :d

Just build floors out to where you want to build your walls, and build the walls right next to the floors

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 09:56:23 pm »

The wiki's articles on large constructions is likely to help you. Basically, you can build constructions out from the sides of passable tiles (especially floors) endlessly, so to build up, you just build a way to the top of your walls, then build floors and more walls a z-level up with a way up to the top of those walls, and repeat.

In somewhat more detail, using just floors, ramps, and walls, you might build up like this:

z-level +0:
+++
+^=
+++

z-level +1:
.v+
=^+

z-level +2:
=..
^..
+v.

z-level +3:
+^=
v..

z-level +4:
.v+
..^
..=

z-level +5:
..v
..+

^s are up ramps, v are down ramps, . is open space, + is floors or wall-tops, and =s are walls. Basically, this is a 1-tile loose spiral ramp that you could build additional structure off of. You could replace the open spaces with literally any construction and it would work, or widen the ramps and the walls they stand against to increase traffic flow potential. Take advantage of the fact that support works on any orthagonal connection, not just vertical ones, to build out into open space as far as you want. You can support any size fort on a single-tile pillar if you want.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Erkeric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 09:01:00 am »

I think I see how your confused. You can use floors in your construction but on the square you need a wall will have to be empty. So say the floor your building is like this O=wall X=floor

OOOOO
  OXXXO
  OXXXO
  OXXXO
  OOOOO

You dont put a floor on the edges but rather just the 3x3 area in the middle. Same thing with stairs. The square you want the stairs cannot have a constructed floor (a floor created from building a wall on the level below are fine).