Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How to dry a lake section?  (Read 2496 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: How to dry a lake section?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 06:23:45 pm »

Well if you wanted to remove the obsidian, add more, make a chute, remove the lower area and wait for it all to drain out (assuming it has somewhere to drain to), then proceed to remove the rest, building/digging stairs and walls when needed. Building inside lakes is not the easiest of things to do :d
So to empty a lake, a drain is always the best thing to use.

Not if it fills from the map edge, plus you run the risk of FPS death

Especially if it fills from the map edge. You may risk FPS death, but that's not permanent.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2011, 06:24:27 pm »

But the water is D:

So you need to block it. Cave ins and magma!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2011, 07:57:54 pm »

Well if you wanted to remove the obsidian, add more, make a chute, remove the lower area and wait for it all to drain out (assuming it has somewhere to drain to), then proceed to remove the rest, building/digging stairs and walls when needed. Building inside lakes is not the easiest of things to do :d
So to empty a lake, a drain is always the best thing to use.

Not if it fills from the map edge, plus you run the risk of FPS death

Especially if it fills from the map edge. You may risk FPS death, but that's not permanent.
Tell that to my kobold camp. All I did was punch a tiny hole in the ocean floor for an indoor pond, and it caused a swirling vortex of disappearing water and FPS murder that never went away even after I closed it off. My kobolds had somehow succeeded in creating a miniature black hole in the ocean.

Speaking of which; if a freaking singularity can't empty out a lake, then dwarf-pumps don't have a chance in hell.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 08:07:33 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2011, 07:04:03 am »

Sphalerite's the one who farmed the sea serpents. He posted his method on the first page of this thread, and I'm adding my voice in favor of it. I've tried it myself and it genuinely works - just make sure you have something else to do while DF tries to figure out all this water draining away. Granted, the section of ocean I was draining was about 6 z-levels deep where I put my drain, and out of the 4x4 embark area, only one embark tile was shore, but the warnings against massive FPS drain are not unwarranted even in this 2 z-level situation.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2011, 10:24:22 am »

Another thought is using the river trick. Just build enough pumps to push the water out of the hole. Then do it again another level down, until you get to the bottom. Just keep it up until you've gotten to the bottom of the lake. Then drop your support posts.

Or you could cast the base with magma and then build on top of that.
Pages: 1 2 [3]