Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Eagles carrying off dwarves?  (Read 984 times)

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant Eagles carrying off dwarves?
« on: December 22, 2011, 12:11:40 pm »

This is not the first time that such a thing has happened. I found a dead dwarf on top of a building with no ramps or stairs to get to it. I know that he wasn't stuck up there when the building started because that was years ago and he would have died since then, right? Another time I found a dwarf on a wall that had no ramps or stairs, and never had any built near it so he could not have walked up there on his own. Now I have a booming population of Giant Eagles, could they be the culprits? One of the corpses was found near the nest boxes which leads me to suspect they are hauling off the dwarves to feed their young. Is this a thing? I hope this is a thing.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Eagles carrying off dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 12:17:37 pm »

Dwarves will often get stuck in inexplicable places with no rhyme or reason. His monumental stupidity could very well have teleported him there
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:27:22 pm »

did anything cause a disruption near the site in question? dorfs will dodge diagonally up on occasion if there's a place for them to stand on the level above.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:28:43 pm »

Giant eagles can't carry other creatures.

It has been demonstrated that creatures can teleport to places they could not have walked to when dodging.  If you have too many animals in your fortress and haven't put them in pastures or cages, they can get too crowded and start attacking dwarves or each other.  This can lead to a dwarf dodging on top of a wall that he can't get down from.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 04:46:57 pm »

But why only dwarves? Always dwarves, never something else.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 04:59:52 pm »

I've seen it happen to a war animal in my fort too, so it's not only limited to dwarves. There's also some other messed up stuff going on with this "upwards dodging". Like that time I saw a creature-sized fish jumped out of the river, several times, until it airdrowned.

Anyway, it doesn't even have to be the result of attacking. I think it's more like, dwarves try to go through paths that have the least obstacles, be it other dwarves or animals, and sometimes they decide THIS ROOF LOOKS LIKE A GOOD SHORTCUT and then forget all about the fact that they cannot come down by themselves because they're giant pussies/idiots.

Also, I think the reason that people most of the time witness this happen to their dorfs is that no sane person would have their dorfs outnumbered by tame animals. Our FPS-preserving habits try to keep the critter numbers down, so tame horses and so on rarely end up being the ones to leap on walls or roofs.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:02:12 pm by Ieb »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 05:05:31 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79595.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82537.0

FLYING TAME ANIMALS

Sometimes friendly creatures will swap positions while walking around (look at your meeting halls!). If some bird near the nest box is standing on a wall, and a dwarf is below, the position swap puts the dwarf on top of the wall.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 06:40:46 pm »

Scary stuff.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:21:43 pm »

although, since i started playing the MLP mod, i've actualy had less trouble with this sort of thing, becasue it happens often enough for roof acess to be a factor in all my architecture.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.